Thread: Bear Skin Rug

Default Bear Skin Rug

I got the call a few days ago that my black bear rug is ready, going to pick it up on Wednesday. I hadn't thought about it until last night, but does one use a rug as an actual rug? I had previously planned on hanging him on the wall, but the space I was going to use is now occupied by other things. I built a nice chair a few days ago from reclaimed wood and threw my caribou hide over the back of it and an actual rug would compliment that nicely but how would it hold up?

Matt

An actual rug.....with padding and mounted head, I don't think would lay over a chair very well. I've seen them on the floor, but don't believe people walk on them that much........I know I wouldn't. Maybe on the floor in front of a fireplace would work, out of the main walking area.

That reminds me......have you ever seen the pic of Jean Harlow on the polar bear rug? http://www.lisaburks.com/jeanharlow/bearrug.htm

Yeowwwwza.....!!!......lol (I know...I'm showing my age again)
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I guess that is my question, I can't imagine that walking on it would be good for it. I also can't think that it is easy to clean. I just thought if I am wrong, it would look nice as a rug in front of the chair I built. If I am right, I need to find a spot on the wall to put it.

That picture of Jean Harlow - stunning!

Ya know, I doubt if say only you walked on it in bare, or stocking feet getting to your chair would hurt it that much. I was just thinking I wouldn't want it in a main walking area where everybody would walk on it all the time with shoes on.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It might look ok over the back of a sofa - but again you're facing a "wear" factor (not quite as bad) as if it was on the floor. If you have a "half" wall in your house, you could drape it over that. Or maybe a stair bannister. You don't want it on any floor where it will get walked on.

Yes it would look good. Down side is on a wood floor they slide easy and may come out from under you when walking. Normal floor dirt will also be normal bear dirt so it will need airing and shaking regular. If not hung they make nice bed dressing.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have ALOT of clients that put their Bears on the floor.

We put hanging loops on all of them just in case they change their mind at a later time & want it on the wall.

The huge ones actually work better on the floor because they take up so much wall space.

RJ Simington

We have a tanned bear hide laying on my daughters floor for 3 years now. It's on carpet and she walks all over it every day. It shows ZERO signs of wear and no broken hair or wear anywhere. I was actually suprised at how well it has held up.
    She also has a sprinbok lating on the same floor in front of her dresser for a year, same story.

Granted, this area only gets walked on with bare feet, slippers, or socks on.

BK

Put on floor, walk on it, then when wife starts saying it needs to go becasue its looking worn, use that as excuse to get another one

I know just what your up against. After paying all that money, how much a foot is it now? I too tried to figure out what to do with my grizzly hide and she was only seven and a half square. It wouldnt fit on an eight foot tall wall and my kids were young back then with pets in the house so didnt want it on the floor so it hung behind the couch as high as it would go and the rest went ot the floor behind it. When we moved back to Wa. I built a log addition with tall ceilings so I have a place for mounts and that sure helps, Ron.

Pets are the biggest problem.

From Chewing off ears & claws , to Peeing on the rugs.

We have had to fix a Dozen of them.

Every time the person says, ( My animals dont do that in the house , I dont know how that could be )

Also , You can use the Vacuum cleaner to clean the dirt & dust off the rugs.
    Use the hose or the beater bar , IF IT IS TURNED OFF.

Picking them up & shaking them off is not the best thing, especialy if the rug is Hot glued & not sewn. it will come apart pretty quickly.

If they are properly sewn they are pretty durable for several years.

RJ Simington

If the hide was tanned properly, it will stand up to a lot of abuse. If it was 'home tanned', I wouldn't put much faith in how long it will last. This is were a good quality mount, good tanning, edges sewn not glued and good quality wool felt edges make the Difference for years to come. Here's a nice Brownie I just finished.
    [/URL]

Better yet, cut the legs and face off trying to shape like an oval. Back it and use it. Repeat annually in a one a year unit. Full bear rugs are expensive and bear skins have lots of utility around the house. Don't let the expense if taxidermy deter ya from a good bear hunt. A quality tan could run ya $400. Quality taxidermy upwards of $2,000 on a big boy. Happy bear hunting!

nice brownie rug there, going back to the old picture, i know thats the entire reason i wantto get a brown bear, for a nice young woman to lay on in front of the fire place, don't think there is anyone anywhere that could ocme up with a better use than that