Thread: Does anyone have advice on how and when to plant potatoes?

Default Does anyone have advice on how and when to plant potatoes?

Do you grow yours in tires, tubs or in a garden? When do you plant? What type of potato do you plant and what care do they require to do well? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3464 View Post
    Do you grow yours in tires, tubs or in a garden? When do you plant? What type of potato do you plant and what care do they require to do well? Thanks!
    Potatoes are easy to grow here and require no special care. They like decent quality soil that's not too heavy, and consistent moisture; not too wet, not too dry. When to plant depends on where you're located (you don't say). Here in the interior the last frost free date is about 1 June and I plant potatoes about that time. Most all varieties do well here, either in the garden or raised beds. Some folks grow in old tires, I guess, but I don't care to. Be sure to use seed potatoes sourced from Alaska growers only (NOT the grocery store) to prevent introduction of disease into Alaska. Potatoes are an important commercial crop here and the potential introduction of disease from Outside is a serious concern.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I plant end of May, 1st of June. Right after I till the potato bed.
    Yukon golds mostly.
    Using seed potatoes

Grow in rows & hoe twice thru the summer into a raised row

Potatoes are among the best crops up here in my experience. Turnips, rhubarb and strawberries also do very well. (for Matsu Valley area.) I am experimenting with starting some other vegetables inside the house this year. We already have some healthy looking sprouts in iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and beans. We are growing these in large containers (gallon size or larger) and will transplant if needed outside after there is no more danger of frost.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.