Thread: Rockfish Identification Resources

Default Rockfish Identification Resources

Hi folks,

There's a recently-resurrected thread concerning rockfish identification in here, and I thought I'd toss a question back your way. We are always on the lookout for resources to help people in their Alaska fishing and hunting efforts, and I am not sure we have nailed it yet, when it comes to rockfish identification guides you can take with you in the field.

What resources do you use (please provide links)? I'd like to see if we can upgrade what we carry in the store.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Guide to Northeast Pacific Rockfishes: Genera Sebastes and Sebastolobus
    Donald E. Kramer and Victoria O'Connell

http://seagrant.uaf.edu/bookstore/pubs/MAB-25.html

Printed on waterproof paper and spiral bound. My only suggestion would be to specifically identify them as pelagic or non-pelagic as it relates to sport fishing regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The poster that F&G gives out is real nice I plan on getting it laminated as suggested.Sorry I know you said sell but its free. So won't help the store out much
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger,
    Thanks for mentioning this a couple weeks ago. We got one of the posters from ADFG at the Sportsmans show and they had some 8.5" x 11" flyers as well with the same info but the poster is great.
    BK

There is a freely available NOAA publication available here:
    http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/techmemos/nmfs-afsc-117.htm

You could look into whether it's allowable to sell printed copies. A spiral bound copy printed on color waterproof/plastic sheets would be ideal.

Milton Love's tome "The Guide to the Rockfishes of the Northeast Pacific", that you can get on Amazon. He has another smaller guide I believe that you can find on his website, The Love Lab...