Thread: 2006 Yamaha F150ís Oil Leak

Default 2006 Yamaha F150ís Oil Leak

Anyone seeing oil leaks on their F150ís. Mine leaked since purchased in March of 2006. I had my boat in the shop for half dozen times due to leak and service technician couldnít find the leak till now. Just got a call from dealerís technician saying leak may have been due to defective machining on power head from factory. Yamaha is looking into replacing power heads on both of my motorís, I should have answer by tomorrow.

My two motorís serial numbers are apart by about 200 units but, leaking from same area. Iím trying to see if there are more people with same issues or leaks on their F150ís.

Luke

Default Just noticed it

Luke,
    I just noticed the leak this last weekend. I bought my 2006 Yamaha 150 last July. On Sunday, bringing the boat home, I noticed a very small puddle on my extended transom. I pulled the cowling and noticed a small amount inside on the engine floor. Which dealership are you dealing with to address this problem?
    Much thanks,
    Bart

AHven't noticed any leaks yet and I hope I don't
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Deweys Cook Inlet

Iím working with Chad at the service department. He was the first person who was able to address the problem correctly. He just came on board with Deweys, but he was only one who spent time coming out to Whittier on weekend to inspect the oil leak on the water by running the boat at the passage. Other technicians who worked on my motor wasnít able to find the problem even though I brought in the boat over half dozen times, instead they scared me by saying Yamaha will not be coving the warranty work since they couldnít find the problem.

Chad should be able to help you out, I think he has very good knowledge on Yamaha motors and experience.

Luke

I just went out and looked and guess what! A small amount of oil leaked out of the couling onto the ET. Pulled my couling and can see a little bit of oil at the front of the tray by the latch. Looked all over and can't see anywhere that the oil was coming from off the engine. Looked at on the top tray could see a little oil around the oil fill cap. Looks like it leaked out there and then dripped down the couling onto the bottom.

Luke were you able to see where the leak was coming from on the power head?

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Location

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I just went out and looked and guess what! A small amount of oil leaked out of the couling onto the ET. Pulled my couling and can see a little bit of oil at the front of the tray by the latch. Looked all over and can't see anywhere that the oil was coming from off the engine. Looked at on the top tray could see a little oil around the oil fill cap. Looks like it leaked out there and then dripped down the couling onto the bottom.

Luke were you able to see where the leak was coming from on the power head?

Derrick
    Leak is from lower front left side of motor where power head meets floor.

Mine only leaked while running warmed up engine, motor will not leak at idle. It took me about 30 minutes of running WOT to cruising speed to duplicate the leak while Chad from Deweys was on the boat with me at Whittier.
    Last edited by Luke; 08-13-2007 at 00:44.

Luke, thanks. I am going to pull my couling while running this weekend just to double check.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Do we know what series of S/N this has affected?

Hi,

I got a 06 Yami 150HP, I havent noticed anything yet, but its just got over 12 hrs on it. So has Yami issued a service bulletin yet? Also can you tell by the S/N if you may have a potential problem?

Bought my boat/motor out of WA. and hope that if I have problem, the Yami dealers here will help me out.

AH

I was told there is a powder you can put on a engine that will find where an oil leak is coming from.

Good Luck.

Iím not sure about block of serial numbers, and I donít think there is any service bulletin out for this issue. This seems like new issue to Yamaha also.

There is die you can put in to the engine oil, and I did have die in my both engines. But, service tech. couldnít duplicate the leak in the shop, and pressure test always came out normal. Engine will only leak when itís hot with good oil pressure build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Other technicians who worked on my motor wasnít able to find the problem even though I brought in the boat over half dozen times, instead they scared me by saying Yamaha will not be coving the warranty work since they couldnít find the problem.
    Boy, if this doesn't bring back bad memories. Two years ago I had fuel injector problems. The #1 cylinder wasn't running on my F115. Several mechanics looked at it, over half a dozen trips to Dewey's. I was charged over $600 for what should have been warantee work. One guy even changed the squeeze bulb and said that fixed it. Not even close!

Luke, I sincerely hope the service dept at Dewey's treats you better than they treated me. Their sales and parts people always treated me well, but I am afraid their service manager has completely soured me from any future business with them. To get my engine troubles resolved, I had to go through Yamaha's customer service dept and another dealership to get a lasting repair....all covered under warrantee, without argument. If you start getting static from the folks at Dewey's, go directly to Yamaha.

Sorry to be a downer, guys. I know how much it sucks to have your outboard's reliability come into question, especially at the beginning of the season. I wish you all a speedy and quality repair.

Default Advice from Deweys

I recently picked up a new boat from Deweys that has the Yamaha 150. While getting the walk thru of the boat I was told not to overfill the engine with oil (the dipstick should read just under half) as when the motor is tipped up oil will spill out the filller. This doesn't sound like it will speak to the original poster's leak, however, other's that might be finding oil in their cowlings should check to see if they have "overfilled" their oil and the excess maybe leaking out.

Hope this helps.

Default I've got the same problem

Luke,

I have a 2006 150 also. It was fine last year, but I notice the oil sheen on the water the first trip out of Whittier last week. At first I thought it was a pin hole leak from the fuel line, but then noticed the oil drip on the transom. I called Dewey's today and spoke with Chad. Seemed like a knowledgable and helpful guy, which was great because most of the people at Dewey's seem to care less that you just spent between $50-$100k with them. He mentioned he was aware of the problem (probably from your boat), and I have it going in to the shop on Tues.

It doesn't sound like a quick fix. I wonder if they cover your boat payment and forfeited Forest Service Cabins while it's down?

Good luck with yours. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Relief to know that Iím not alone, and fee bad that you are affected by same problem. At least they should be able to get to your motor with better knowledge.

Chad is replacing short block on my starboard side motor and he will be take my port side motor apart to verify if its same defect as starboard side.

Iím sure they will be able to work on your motor lot quick if its same defect. Good luck on your repair and will see you on the water once done.

Luke

Default Dewey's

This isn't the first time I've heard negative comments about Dewey's. I just bought Honda from Storm Chasers in Seward. Not only did they have the best price (by a long shot!), the service is top notch and the Van Buskirks know what's going on.
    They actually wanted to sell me the Tohatsu. I asked them which motor commercial fishermen buy, abuse, and keep on running. They said, "get the Tohatsu". I bought the Honda anyway.
    Lack of a dealer that didn't treat me like a moron is the main reason I didn't buy a Yamaha or the Etech.

I'm also experiencing an oil leak on my F150 manufactured in 2006. Luke, what were the engine numbers? What exactly was done to fix the problems? Same for both engines?

Default Oil Leak

My boat was sold after all repair was done. I had to take in the boat about 12th time for service dept to find out what was wrong. At last Yamaha replaced powerhead on both motors. They had batch of bad powerhead in 2006. If you need additional information let me know.

Luke

Default Chad took care of me....

My F 150 (07, but built in 06) had the same problem. Oil sheen on the water after extended run. I took it in to Dewey's and Chad ID'd the problem right away. The fix was indeed a new short block. They did the work under warranty and were really good about working with me so that I didn't miss any boat time. I was happy with the way I was treated. I am pretty new to working with those guys, but so far I have felt pretty good about the way they have worked with me since I bought my boat.

Love the motor - Love the boat (PC 22)
    Attached Images Attached Images

It seems that I have the same problem with oil leaking after extended driving periods at high RPM's. My Yamaha F150 has a serial number 1059217 and was manufactured in 2006. Since there is virtually no Yamaha service where I live I would appreciate very much a more detailed comment on what was done to fix it.

Is there a Yamaha service bulletin on this problem?

What needs to be changed (what is "short block" mentioned in some posts here?)?

Thanks in advance, Valts

Default Fix

Yamaha replaced powerhead on my motors under warranty. You should call the dealder you bought the motor from or Yamaha customer care for advice.