Thread: Pack for Son

Default Pack for Son

Hello,
    Great forum here, a ton of good info.
    My Son is getting ready for a pack purchase and I thought I would pick some brains here.
    He is after a pack for one - two week mountain hunts and I am wondering on your thoughts between MR Nice 6500 or 7500 compared to the MR Grizzly or Kodiak. I have never even seen a MR pack but I have been using the Kifaru long Hunter quite happily. Any Pros or cons with or without the Nice frame?
    Thanks,
    Koot

MR = heavy. Why not have him try Kifaru?

I've got several MR packs, including the NICE 6500... not the most uber light weight pack available, but they'll handle a big load and hold up to it for years. I've carried some pretty big loads on mine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got several MR packs, including the NICE 6500... not the most uber light weight pack available, but they'll handle a big load and hold up to it for years. I've carried some pretty big loads on mine.
    How far have you hauled those big loads? The MR packs are clearly bomber constructed but I wasn't thrilled with the ergonomics of the ones I have looked at. I don't like the design of the load lifters in normal configuration and they are completely non-functional if used with the MR load sling. I have no time in them myself but have been with buddies hauling 100 plus lb loads in them. There is no doubt in my mind that the MR packs won't be the limiting factor In getting you "there and back" but if I was in the market I would do a hard comparison between them and the Kifaru timberline.

How many of us started on an Alice?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

The MR 6500 is more than enough pack for a 7-10 day trip or more. I've done up to 12 days out of mine. Packed half a dozen moose, as many elk, a few sheep, 15+ deer, a couple bears, etc etc in mine. My knees hurt before anything else, and the pack will carry as comfortably as you could expect with a heavy load. I've traded in other packs, to include a couple frame packs, "name brand" internals and "hunting" packs. All of them were a distant second. They might be a bit heavier, but they carry weight much better. A 60lb load feels like 40 in a lesser pack.

Load lifters are extended on all the packs you mention, and are very functional. The Crew Cab and Load Sling should be avoided unless you're looking for a day pack. The MR packs are easily the most comfortable pack on the market, that I've tried IMO. The waist belt is much better than most, with exception of the Kifaru, which is a wash.

If your son is going to pack moose quarters with bone in, look for a frame pack, but for boned out meat and extended backpack mountain hunting, any of the MR packs you list would be very good choices. They're a little on the heavy side, but after comparing my 6500 to the latest light weight craze Stone Glacier... I wouldn't make that switch...

That all said, I've got a Kifaru High Camp on order that should be here in a few weeks. I'll have to see how I like it compared to the MR6500 before I decide which to keep.

but if I was in the market I would do a hard comparison between them and the Kifaru timberline.

Exactly what I am doing. I have been using a Kifaru Rendezvous for a few years now and I quite like it. He could save 4- 5 lbs by going Kifaru. I am just trying to figure out the MR packs and to help him make a good choice. Is there any pros/cons with or without the nice system?

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    How many of us started on an Alice?
    Ron
    Or the Canadian version, the Trapper Nelson
    b-gtrappernelsong.jpg

Best way to toughen youngsters up, that way they'll appreciate a comfy pack when they get into their dotage.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koot View Post
    I am just trying to figure out the MR packs and to help him make a good choice. Is there any pros/cons with or without the nice system?
    The NICE system works pretty well, but if your son never really intends to do any of the other things you can do with the frame- ie. load sling, or one of the other packs they make to attach to the frame- he'd likely prefer the grizzly or Kodiak. I managed to pick up a used 6500 for about half price, otherwise I'd likely have bought a grizzly. Just my $.02.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Bambie stew,
    I have been checking out the Highcamp as well. What frame did you get?

Yukoner,
    He's plenty tough already. I was physically tough at that age but he has me beat with both physical and mental toughness. Last fall we were two weeks in the northern rockies and two of the men in camp lost it in a situation one day and the boy was very level headed and just kept right on truckin