Thread: Peninsula Brown Bear hunt Ursus Cove

Default Peninsula Brown Bear hunt Ursus Cove

I'm considering a hunt around Lake Iliamna or Ursus Cove area this fall for brown bear. I would appreciate any/all feedback regarding bear density and thoughts on probability of shooting a trophy (9+) bear. I've spoken with an outfitter, he's obviously fired up about his area, but I'd like to hear others thoughts on this area as well.

Thank you,
    Bucksandnoles

Personally, as far as the Iliamna area goes, I wouldn't actually call it the "Peninsula" when you consider how the "Peninsula" is known for it's big brownies. And the densities aren't like further south, say the closer you get down towards the Wide Bay area.

I won't say you can't find a big bear in the area, heck the potential to find a big one is pretty much anywhere in AK.. But if it were me I'd be thinking a bit further south.....
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

I've since found out that Wed actually be hunting a little south/west of Iliamna and along the coast. I am getting a bit concerned with many views and one response. If you don't like this area, any suggestions for another area/guide where I have a reasonable chance at a 9+ bear for under $15k? Though of course it'd be nice, I don't need a B & C bear, just have set the bar for what I want to shoot for my trophy. I've hunted the pen on e before and passed on a couple smaller bears, and am ready to go back. I'm all ears and trust the advice from forum members as it has proven invaluable on previous AK hunts. Thank you!

who is it with? hard to know what area unless we know more....9 foot is a reasonable goal by the way. Guys set on true 10 foot bears often spend lots of time and $$ even in the absolute best areas!! That is an area if you are with the right guy that has the rights to hunt federal and native land, and experience in the area can be good. Now south and west of Iliamna wont be Ursus cove that is east of Iliamna. If the guy has good references and past happy clients and it sounds like you are a good match pull the trigger and send your money.

Iliamna has a ton of big bear, the trick is to get with a guide that access to private land or rights to hunt the native land. I guide out of that area and have some good ideas for you if you haven't found a solution.