Thread: fish for dollies in closed trout water? (kenai)

Default fish for dollies in closed trout water? (kenai)

i've heard (not seen) a few guys fish for dollies this time of year in the kenai, while rainbow trout fishing is closed. i'm curious if anyone out there has any experience with this. obviously, no one can distinguish whether or not you are fishing for rainbows or dollies, so technically, i could drift down the river nymphing a bead and be legit... right? what is a fish and game officer gonna say when i tell them i'm fishing for dollies, and not for rainbows? i'd be curious to hear what other out there know about this.
    Mark W.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Just rechecked the regs. The Upper Kenai River is closed to ALL fishing May 1 Through June 11. Page 52.

i'm referring to the water below skilak lake (middle and lower river).
    www.akfishology.com

Default Its legal but...

As long as you aren't removing the rainbow from the water I think you're legal. Like you said, you fish the same way for either species so how do you keep them off your fly?

That said, I think people are beginning to realize that there's a lot of harm to be done to a rainbow during the spawn and hopefully we'll see this spring fishery die off.

i agree... there certainly is some harm done to spawning fish when caught and released, but i don't really think there is much of a spring fishery and therefore not much to die off.... at least i don't ever see or hear anyone out there fishing dollies in may and early june, but maybe i'm not paying enough attention. i'm still curious if anyone out there actually does fish for dollies during the spring... i'm looking for personal experiences and accounts here. anyone???
    Mark W
    www.akfishology.com

I personally have fished the middle for dollies during the rainbow closure. Some see it as unethical but to each his own.

Default Middle

Saw a couple of groups up there 2 years pulling a ton of big spawners out- They were above the upper Keilley on that sandbar camping- the one before the high cutbank where that old cabin is up in the woods. I guess some people will do anything to get their pictures with a big rainbow- W.F.C.

Yep, you fish for them the same ways. I see a lot of the younger crowd doing it all the time. It is getting even more popular, not less as others have suggested or wish for. It is off season, and a lot of the guides use the middle river to just get out and have a good time, before the work starts. What I see is them mostly getting out with friends or just getting some good pictures for their web sites and brochures. Big rainbows in photos bring in a lot of unsuspecting clients. Then the old saying "Boy you should have been with us yesterday" comes to play. I can prove it, here are the pictures. ha Smart fellas some of these guys and gals are.

Smolt patterns should take dollies and rainbows that aren't on their beds look for birds working ect. Maybe in 2 or 3 weeks the sockeye smolt will start coming in force smolt fishing is a lot of fun. I wish I could throw one into the area above the kenai lake bridge, I always see birds working there. Leave those spawning rainbows alone so you'll be able to catch em in the fall and more of them for years.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.