Thread: South Rolley lake, still have pike?

Default South Rolley lake, still have pike?

Its been years since I have fished South Rolley lake. I was cruising around online trying to figure out where to go Memorial day weekend and was considering going camping at South Rolley as I know there are usually trout to be had for the kids and there use to be pretty decent pike fishing. I noticed though on the AF&G site that they no longer list Pike as a species to be found in South Rolley, so I am just wondering are they still there decently or have they been mostly fished out of that lake?

Wow, 93 views not once response lol. I am going to take that as a yes since no one wants to spill the beans.

Default reply

Check w/F&G - there have been some lakes that were poisoned (to rid them of PIKE) - I don't know if S. Rolly was one.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I doubt that Retenone would be effective in South Rolley as it is directly connected to other lakes. I haven't fished it, but I'd be willing to bet the pike are still there.

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Its been years since I have fished South Rolley lake. I was cruising around online trying to figure out where to go Memorial day weekend and was considering going camping at South Rolley as I know there are usually trout to be had for the kids and there use to be pretty decent pike fishing. I noticed though on the AF&G site that they no longer list Pike as a species to be found in South Rolley, so I am just wondering are they still there decently or have they been mostly fished out of that lake?
    South Rolly still holds pike, but not in great numbers. If you go, try fishing herring under a bobber near weedbeds. I do not believe the trout fishing is worth a darn thanks to the pike.

If nothing else it is a beautiful place to camp, bring or rent a canoe, and dink around on the lake.

Ya when I use to go out there a lot there was always trout but it was because they stocked the lake lol. We use to catch decent amount of pike out same you mentioned, hearing under a bobber while we would sit around the camp fire talking and watching the bobbers. Now that I think about it, its been at least 7 years since I was there last.

F&G don't stock lakes with Pike so guessing the pike are none to few.
    Some info on the stocking here:
    S Rolly Lk

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    S Rolly Lk
    Yeah...no pike left, so no need to fish there.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    S Rolly Lk
    I dont know, I remember about 7 years ago we were fishing there and I caught 8 pike out of there. They also stocked the lake just a few days before we camped ( I think it was memorial day weekend we camped there actually) there. Every one knew there was pike but AF&G still stocked it that year.

I know they use to list Pike along with Trout on the page you linked at one time, so when I saw Pike no longer listed just had me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    I dont know, I remember about 7 years ago we were fishing there and I caught 8 pike out of there. They also stocked the lake just a few days before we camped ( I think it was memorial day weekend we camped there actually) there. Every one knew there was pike but AF&G still stocked it that year.

I know they use to list Pike along with Trout on the page you linked at one time, so when I saw Pike no longer listed just had me wondering.
    Thats a good call. Its common knowledge that Fire Lake is infested with pike, but ADFG dumped a bunch of trout in there last summer.

Yes, there is pike in South Rolly, and yes, FnG stocked it..........to feed the pike.

And these are small ones from the dock. I seem a 32" pulled this morning and saw about a mid 40's I couldn't get to hit.

I'm Pro-Pike.

Yup there is definitley pike still. My buddy caught two of them exactly a month ago when we camped there and almost got a third but got loose. Of course me being such a poor fisherman never even got a nibble even with the same setup and techique lol....The shallow lilly pad areas close to the bank were the most productive it seemed if you have a canoe or other watercraft. The pike were small, maybe about a foot or so long, but man they tasted great cooked over the camp fire.

I was up at Redshirt about two weeks ago and did fairly well. Rent a canoe and hit the weeds/grass/Lilly pads. Was pretty windy though out on the lake, and made it difficult to present the lure and keep the canoe in place. I used black frogs and small black/brown poppers. They tear it up! Friends went 3 weeks ago and were hooking pike non-stop. Nothing big. Biggest one was around 26", but still good fillet size fish to be had. Haven't tried South Rolly, but I am thinking about going up there tomorrow.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!