Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear hunting

Default Bear hunting

New to Alaska love to hunt looking for a big black bear this spring. When do they start to come out and where is a good place look thanks in advance.

Where at in AK are you? How much is your budget? Do you have access to a boat or an airplane or 4 wheelers or snowmachines?

They start coming out in April, May, and early June.......probably most of them come out very late april and early to mid may. Some earlier, some later. Good place to look is on the mountain sides on fresh green grass or next to the salt in the fresh sprouted greens or on winter kills the wolves didnt' get all of or......in Anchorage by the creeks in town!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Where at in AK are you? How much is your budget? Do you have access to a boat or an airplane or 4 wheelers or snowmachines?

They start coming out in April, May, and early June.......probably most of them come out very late april and early to mid may. Some earlier, some later. Good place to look is on the mountain sides on fresh green grass or next to the salt in the fresh sprouted greens or on winter kills the wolves didnt' get all of or......in Anchorage by the creeks in town!
    I live on JBER I was going to hunt down the Seward Highway a little ways. no access to boat, planes, or four wheelers king of limited but in good shape and more than willing to walk and hike getting some muck boots for the walking.

You should have a decent chance down that direction if you take your time, do a LOT of glassing, and are prepared to put some miles on your boots. In the spring, as noted, the first fresh growth is what you're looking for. The bottoms of avalanche chutes can be an excellent place. Once the alders have leafed out it will become very difficult to spot bears, so get after it early. In the fall you'll want to look up high in the berries. From early September through mid-October you should be able to spot multiple bears each day, but you'll have to climb up above the goats to get them.

I think you might have thought that someone may have given you a place to go and look for bear but a good spot that doesnt have a lot of other hunters and easy access are normally a close kept secret. Seward hyway is a great place to start and I use to walk the RR tracks down out of portage and always did well down there. Glass the snow shutes where the grass starts showing first and keep glassing. The nice thing about spring black bear is all you need is a car and binos. Good luck, Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by shanksmare View Post
    I use to walk the RR tracks down out of portage and always did well down there.
    Be careful with that one, as it's easy to wander into the Portage Closed area if you head towards the tunnel. Look at the regs and maps carefully.

And don't walk the RR track unless you want a ticket

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Care to provide a little more information or a source for more information?

Has anyone seen/shot any black or brown bears in south central this spring? Thanks.

Yes, they "say" don't walk on the tracks, and if they really want to they can go after you about doing so. BUT.......from my experience, they really don't mind people walking the tracks.....it's taking 4 wheelers or snowmachines on them that they really frown on.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Has anyone seen/shot any black or brown bears in south central this spring? Thanks.
    YES.............

AGL4 does that mean you got one?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    AGL4 does that mean you got one?

Negative.............Not harvested, Have been watching two Brown Bears on different mountains, and found tracks of one Black Bear crossing Hope Road.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Negative.............Not harvested, Have been watching two Brown Bears on different mountains, and found tracks of one Black Bear crossing Hope Road.
    Did you happen to see those Brown Bears in Chugiach State Park Management area? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Did you happen to see those Brown Bears in Chugiach State Park Management area? Thanks again.
    NO.......In the Chugach National Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Here is some info in this thread. No links to the actual statutes. This is an interesting news piece on hunters trespassing on tracks.

After the TSA came to be, they started providing grants to railroads to increase their security presence. AKRR ended up with some nice new trucks for some new "bulls" and started patrolling known problem spots like Portage. From what I recall in 2002 or 2003 the bulls were pretty agressive in writing tickets to duck hunters.

Their out, My buddy and I flew 5 hours Sunday in his cub, saw 8 brown bears, 1 sow w/3 cubs, single bear, and three dead bears (skinned out), killed by snowmachine hunters!....grin. All were within 100yds from the den, the dead ones too!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Their out, All were within 100yds from the den, the dead ones too!

I have only seen one set of tracks down at road level. The dens are easy to spot right now as the snow here is still pure white. The first seven miles of the Hope Road has about 30" to 36" of snow yet just off the shoulder. Last year there was 84" of snow at this time.

Peninsula Clarion Link

Trespassing on the railroad tracks is a Class B misdemeanor and is punishable with a fine of $1,000 and up to a year in jail. Violators typically pay a $500 fine, according to Frerich.

<snip>

According to state statute, it is illegal to trespass on the railroad right-of-way, which extends 100 feet on each side from the track's center line. But hunters often take advantage of the railroad to get to places they otherwise couldn't reach.

Alaska Statute

One more Link
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I will promise you they can & mostly likely will ticket you depending on who catches you. Some of the older section workers won't mind as much, newer engineers, brakemen, or others will simply get on the radio & call the ARR P.D. & you won't know it until they greet you at your car.
    Even if you aren't walking between the tracks as AK Hippie pointed out you are tresspessing & can be sited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast