Thread: How High Can a Moose Jump?

Default How High Can a Moose Jump?

We are building a horizontal wooden fence and needed to know how high to build it. Don't even know if moose can jump, but what's the best way to go for fencing so your garden does not get eaten? Planning on putting wire so the rabbits don't get in. Any pics, or suggestions?
    Thanks!
    -ESF

Yes moose can and will jump...if they clear the fence or not is a different story, some may get hung up, some prefer to just walk through it. I would go with at 'least' 6 foot tall fencing with some electric wire around the top, about moose nose level. If you have a problem with them trying to get in you could add more strands of electric wire. Get a charger that is good for large livestock, like cows.

moose-jumping.jpgmoosejump1.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Wow that's crazy I had no idea. I'm going to need to cut some bigger trees. Are those your own photos Tearbear?

One neighbor has six ft fence w barb wire on top. Moose got in. Another neighbor has ten ft high fence. No moose got in.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    One neighbor has six ft fence w barb wire on top. Moose got in. Another neighbor has ten ft high fence. No moose got in.
    Yep....I think I remember watching a video of a big bull clearing what looked like an 8' fence to me......

Think about it.........a moose is just a big deer, and you know how well a deer can jump.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Moose fence

I have those same metal poles, but mine are 10ft which leaves a 7ft tall fence above ground. I have Moose walk around it all summer, but have not had any intruders as of yet. Before the fence I had lost many gardens to the moose, and now I even put more effort into the garden because deep down inside I believe I am the one who will enjoy the harvest, not them.

My worst experience was with giant OS cabbage. I was growing 5-6 with my daughter for a fair cabbage and went out one morning to find a single bite out of every cabbage in the garden, and some were 60lbs or so. Bummer

Worse yet, try and run a moose out of your garden when it loves the food. I tried to scare one with a loud chainsaw, and my wife got to witness an idiot running around a car to escape a charging moose. Yes... everyone build a fence, a tall one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    Wow that's crazy I had no idea. I'm going to need to cut some bigger trees. Are those your own photos Tearbear?
    Not my photos, did a quick google search 'moose jumping fence' The one jumping over the chain link fence was in the Anchorage Daily News I believe. Moose tend to go around fences, if they are tall enough and visible...unless they are running from something, that's when they will run into, bounce off of, or get stuck in the wire type fence. I've had moose snap off a sturdy 6 inch wood post before, it was running scared, and just kept trying to run into the fencing, till it hit that post, snapped it off, and fell in...then it wanted out, and did not go out the way it came in, what a mess that moose made of the fence. The moose was fine, the fence was not. The thing about those smaller diameter metal garden posts, is that a moose may impale themselves on them if they try to jump in.

It's funny how those moose know when it's not hunting season, and instead of running 'away' from you, they run 'towards' you...
    "Grin and Bear It"

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...moose-proofing

Here is another thread that may give you some ideas on how to keep those moose from getting in your garden.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    We are building a horizontal wooden fence and needed to know how high to build it. Don't even know if moose can jump, but what's the best way to go for fencing so your garden does not get eaten? Planning on putting wire so the rabbits don't get in. Any pics, or suggestions?
    Thanks!
    -ESF
    Aside from the question of height, one other problem I foresee with your horizontal fence design, is that if a cow sees something on your side of the fence that appeals to her, and if she can stick her head between two rails in an attempt to reach what ever it is that attracts her, she will keep pushing until A) she gets what she is interested in or B) she busts one or two horizontal rails and waltzes into your yard/garden unopposed. You don't have to ask me how I know these things.

I have seen more than one moose try to jump a fence and end up smashing it down until it could jump over it. Taller is better.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Eight foot tall and don't have anything They want on the other side Lol

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Aside from the question of height, one other problem I foresee with your horizontal fence design, is that if a cow sees something on your side of the fence that appeals to her, and if she can stick her head between two rails in an attempt to reach what ever it is that attracts her, she will keep pushing until A) she gets what she is interested in or B) she busts one or two horizontal rails and waltzes into your yard/garden unopposed. You don't have to ask me how I know these things.
    True story.

A couple well placed electric wires can make such a fence design a reasonably viable option though. We had a 4.5' fence with a single electric wire on top at nose height which effectively protected our garden for years.

Moose do have some smarts and a capacity to learn and remember. This can work for you or against you. I have seen a cow and calf browse their way toward the above mentioned fence some years ago; the cow was a return customer and kept a respectable distance, not wanting anything to do with the electric wire on top of our otherwise too short fence. The calf had no such fear and soon learned to same lesson mom already knew. On the other hand I've heard of a bull at a nearby organic farm who inadvertently learned that he could essentially charge their fence (which was tall with several electric wires), throw himself at a weak spot, and make it through the electric wires without harm. He turned into a problematic repeat offender. Except for this noteworthy exception, my experience has been that a 'normal' height fence with a couple strategically placed hot wires is an effective deterrent.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default How High Can Moose 'Really' Jump?

Yep...If you really want to see how high a moose can jump, just install the electric wire...also teaches a somewhat harmless lesson to children about electricity, and works well on an unwanted wandering dog too
    "Grin and Bear It"

Way back on this forum somebody suggested using Irish Spring soap bars around your garden, don't know if it works tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Way back on this forum somebody suggested using Irish Spring soap bars around your garden, don't know if it works tho.
    I remember when people where talking about that on their Apple trees I think. Not really sure if it worked But did hear if you left it out past the winter and it got wet it drew in lots of bugs that wasn't so good.
    I have a 8 ft fence and it works so far. Going to move and change it this year.