Thread: Browns over bait.. Salvage requirements.. make sure you KNOW

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Browns over bait.. Salvage requirements.. make sure you KNOW

A bit back, i was reading on here a thread about, browns over bait.. and some had differeing views over the salvage requirement..

so i did some talking to AWT, ADFG, and others... heres the deal

Black bears still have meat salvage as .... 4 quarters and back straps..

do NOT make the mistake of salvageing a Brown taken over bait like a black bear...

Grizz/ Brown over bait with meat salvage requirments... is ALL MEAT.. like a moose,, neck, ribs, tenderloins etc.. ALL OF IT..

also.. part of the other discussion included how good grizz meat is for wolf or wolverien bait.. Grizz/Brown bear may be used as bait..

UNLESS IT WAS TAKEN OVER BAIT!

i expect, there will be a lot of tickets this year.. unless word is spread accordingly as many in the ADFG office Also assumed grizz and Blacks had the same meat, salvage requirements.. even if someone in the ADFG office tells you so.. it's still YOUR TICKET.

working our way to the 15th fast.. we'll have our first 4 baits out by the 20th.. hoping to see some big early boars..

good luck all...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There's no brown's over bait until next spring. Only in the predator control area this year.

sent from my igloo

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    There's no brown's over bait until next spring. Only in the predator control area this year.

sent from my igloo
    ah... no.. 4 units open this year from LAST years interior BOG meeting..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Grizz/ Brown over bait with meat salvage requirments... is ALL MEAT.. like a moose,, neck, ribs, tenderloins etc.. ALL OF IT..

That sucks. Thanks, but no thanks F & G. You can keep your stinkin brownies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That sucks. Thanks, but no thanks F & G. You can keep your stinkin brownies.
    not sure why everyone always lays the blame on F&G...

things liks this are soley Board of Game... If i recall when we got the the first ares past last year.. the intent was same as a black bear, yet a year later, the board has changed that intent...

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info Vince, your great help as always!

ah... no.. 4 units open this year from LAST years interior BOG meeting..

Vince............what four units.....?? Thank you for all that you contribute to this forum.

Where can the meat be donated at? A shelter in the valley or Anchorage take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Where can the meat be donated at? A shelter in the valley or Anchorage take it?
    It's my understanding that most shelters/food banks won't take bear meat due to the risk of trichinosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's my understanding that most shelters/food banks won't take bear meat due to the risk of trichinosis.
    some food banks will take it.. as they donate the meat to villages and such that will take it.. SOUP kitchens are a no/no.. as bear meat is under DEC regulations, and may not be used in any commercial kitchens or man camps,

Virgal at santas smoke house has told me.. he does take in bear meat for donation purposes, so check with your area, processors and see if they have a line on some that will take ground meat..

the processor may ask for a donation to grind it though...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Vince............what four units.....?? Thank you for all that you contribute to this forum.
    20c 12, and parts of 24/25 ( i think) i dont recall all four off top of head at this moment in time... will look up and check back in next week when done running.. we are running a large hunk of 20C and have a buddy running a large hunk in unit 12..

off to pick up 7200 lbs of dog food, and helping move track rigs this weekend.. were getting serious this year..

meet on face book here

20c 12, and parts of 24/25 ( i think) i dont recall all four off top of head at this moment in time... will look up and check back in next week when done running.. we are running a large hunk of 20C and have a buddy running a large hunk in unit 12..

off to pick up 7200 lbs of dog food, and helping move track rigs this weekend.. were getting serious this year..
    12,20c 20E, 21D

heres a copy of 2012/2013 bear bait regs

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...iting_regs.pdf

meet on face book here

12,20c 20E, 21D

heres a copy of 2012/2013 bear bait regs

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...iting_regs.pdf
    Gotcha. I missed those Northern units.

sent from my igloo