Thread: Lightweight Kimber Rifle Showdown!

Default Lightweight Kimber Rifle Showdown!

I recently got my paws on Alaska_Lanche's modified Kimber 84M Montana alongside a Kimber Mountain ascent and took quite a few photos and weights to see how they stacked up against each other.

Check it out here and let me know what you think:

http://www.thealaskalife.com/featured/kimber-rifles/

Check it out here and let me know what you think:

An outstanding review......very nice research........thanks

Thanks for the great review! I was just checking out a Mountain Ascent in .308 today and thought about pulling the trigger decided not to since i already have a Montana in .308 but was tempted to upgrade. Decided it was too much money to lose five ounces especially since I already shaved 1.5 oz by changing the trigger guard so mine is 5 lbs 1 oz. I like the Montana stock better (can not believe the ascent stock is heavier) and I prefer not to have the muzzle break as well. Did you happen to weigh the Ascent without the break as it comes with a thread protector? Anyone know where I can get a light weight bolt handle? I still think the Ascent is pretty cool and wonder if they will discontinue the Montana to boost sales as a $700 is a lot for 5 oz when you can reduce it to 3.5 oz for $50. Thanks again I really enjoyed the review!

Thanks for the kudos. I agree, the MA is definitely sexy. I'm not sure if you can find the Ti bolt handle anymore but it might be worth some googling. I couldn't believe the MA stock was heavier as well...counter-intuitive to me.

I didn't have the thread protector with me but would imagine that's where Kimber gets the 4 pounds 13 ounce published weight from. I'll see if I can get a weight on that brake if I get to the range with my buddy...

Nice work. Enjoyed the comparison. Look forward to more.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I enjoyed the comparison as well. Your brothers Kimber is pretty sweet! I'm looking for a Ti bolt for mine also. If you come across some let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I enjoyed the comparison as well. Your brothers Kimber is pretty sweet! I'm looking for a Ti bolt for mine also. If you come across some let me know!
    Yeah but 3+ years of beating around in the brush for 60 or so days a year has taken its toll on it already....look how "mint" that barrel crown looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yeah but 3+ years of beating around in the brush for 60 or so days a year has taken its toll on it already....look how "mint" that barrel crown looks.
    Isn't that what's considered..........."character" ?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I could've taken some laquer thinner and gotten most of that tape residue off but I was pressed for time with what I got...sorry bro!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I could've taken some laquer thinner and gotten most of that tape residue off but I was pressed for time with what I got...sorry bro!
    HAHA no worries, I we referring more to the dings and gouges....