Thread: .270 Win load for 130gr AB??

Default .270 Win load for 130gr AB??

One of the forum members was nice enough to sell me his never used .270 Win for me to give my son for his birthday in June. Now I want to create a load that we can continue to use. What I have is brass, primers (CCI) and 130gr Accubonds. I have IMR 3031, Varget, Reloader 15 and IMR 4350. I mention the powders because usually people like to throw out their pet loads or advise to use something different. We know that isn't really a possibility at this time in the market. I'm thinking about starting with around 52gr of IMR 4350 but am open to other ideas. The Nosler site only listed three powders that I don't have. Anyone been down this road already?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    One of the forum members was nice enough to sell me his never used .270 Win for me to give my son for his birthday in June. Now I want to create a load that we can continue to use. What I have is brass, primers (CCI) and 130gr Accubonds. I have IMR 3031, Varget, Reloader 15 and IMR 4350. I mention the powders because usually people like to throw out their pet loads or advise to use something different. We know that isn't really a possibility at this time in the market. I'm thinking about starting with around 52gr of IMR 4350 but am open to other ideas. The Nosler site only listed three powders that I don't have. Anyone been down this road already?
    i have two nosler books and play with my .270 all the time.. i think most mine are the 140 gn. accubonds.. but my 130's i used a bit of RL 22 and the IMR435 on the lowest setting for teaching the kids to shoot.. they hold aobut 1.5"-.75" groups depending on which of the .270 they are using.. (have 4)..

the one 140 gn.. i use the RL 19 and have tried some with the RL 15 with a little less recoil.. but not a lot of accuracy changes on the lower powder charges..

Make a BUNCH of them for the boy.. and let him blaze them away to get used to the rifle.. then work on consistancy in your charge as they get better at shooting, comfortable with it.. and build up the recoil factor..

GOOD LUCK
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the reply Vince. I guess I should clarify; he'll be 16 this year. We've grown tired of sharing my .30-06 in the field. (and he shoots it just a well as I do, if not better). I have about 80rds of various factory loads for him to warm up and train with. Mostly I'm looking for a solid hunting load for caribou and moose. Thanks again.