Thread: Russian River Flies

Default Russian River Flies

Alaska locals..... What are you using on the Russian? The "Russian Flies" that are sold in the stores are junk due to long shank and quick dulling. I am wanting to build something on my own. I know that some people are having great success by choosing to use a size 4 Octopus hook with a little yarn however, the Gamakatsu Size 4 which has the required 3/8" gap seems a little light. What about using a little bigger Octopus hook and bending it to 3/8"?

What are your thoughts about a "Tube Fly" on the Russian". According to the definition of a "Fly" in the regs, it sounds that it would be legal.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Protrac View Post
    Alaska locals..... What are you using on the Russian? The "Russian Flies" that are sold in the stores are junk due to long shank and quick dulling. I am wanting to build something on my own. I know that some people are having great success by choosing to use a size 4 Octopus hook with a little yarn however, the Gamakatsu Size 4 which has the required 3/8" gap seems a little light. What about using a little bigger Octopus hook and bending it to 3/8"?

What are your thoughts about a "Tube Fly" on the Russian". According to the definition of a "Fly" in the regs, it sounds that it would be legal.
    A size 4 hook would do the trick as far as meeting the intent of the regs, however I don't like octopus style hooks to fish for reds. I prefer a hook with a down turned eye.

Tube flies are not legal to use on the Russian River fishery waters because they do not meet the definition of a fly tied to the hook. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.