Thread: Gunsight scout question

Default Gunsight scout question

Would the GSR be a good choice for out in the bush in Alaska? Ill be fishing near wasilla,seward. Im planning on buying the gun and it'd be a plus to bring it.

It's a .308 carbine with a decent set of iron sights... not some folk's taste but you could do way worse. Are you looking to do any hunting or is this just for general packing around?

I've packed around and hunted off and on for years with the GSR's forebearer- the Steyr Scout- with excellent results.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hey Hodgeman, any more input you could provide would be appreciated on your experience with the Steyr Scout rifle. I too just picked up a Ruger GSR, have not yet fired it but really like the overall compactness, good trigger, decent iron sights, and box magazines. Getting ready to pick up a Leupold FX II 2.75 X 28 Scout scope for it and already have the quick release rings. I am getting set up to start working up loads for it, but am debating over 165gr or 180gr bullets? Going to stick with the less expensive Hornady Interlocks so I can afford to shoot it a fair bit at the range plinking/practicing my basic rifle marksmanship skills which are pretty rusty. What is your experience with bullet choice and powder out of the shorter barreled .308? My rifle is just going to be a range/truck/woods gun when I don't anticipate the need for one of my bigger bolt rifles, something I can shoot a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Hey Hodgeman, any more input you could provide would be appreciated .... What is your experience with bullet choice and powder out of the shorter barreled .308? My rifle is just going to be a range/truck/woods gun when I don't anticipate the need for one of my bigger bolt rifles, something I can shoot a lot.
    I've shot a bit of everything out of mine but it really likes 150gr Remington Corelokts and Hornady 165gr Light Magnums (when they made them).

You lose a little bit in the short barrel, but nothing complained. I'm loading RL17 in just about everything these days, but I haven't shot any out of the carbine over a chrono.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Good to know. I have some Hornady 165gr and 180gr Interlocks laying around. Have a good supply of R17, A2520, BLC-2 available. Hopefully will get one of those to group well out of the Ruger. Not much worried about the velocity either as I don't expect it to be a burner out of the short barrel. Where did you find your R17 data for .308? I guess I should check their website myself to see. Appreciate your info.

. Where did you find your R17 data for .308? I guess I should check their website myself to see. Appreciate your info.
    Yeah- the Alliant site has load data for .308 and RL17. I also found it on Speer's site for their Deepcurl bullets- haven't found the bullets yet but the data is out there.

Good to know and thanks for the information. Just picked up my Leupold Scout scope yesterday. Just need to mount it up, get bore sighted and start working up some test loads for it. Any experience loading Barnes original X bullets in the 165gr weight for .308. I acquired 300 of them awhile back and never tried them in my '06 as planned. I've heard stories of excessive fouling and some not being able to get them to group well while others have loved them. I have the newest Barnes manual, but was not sure if I could substitute data for the newer 165gr version with the relief cuts in the shank of bullet. I have other bullets I could load as well, but trying to find a use for these bullets.

Any experience loading Barnes original X bullets in the 165gr weight for .308. I... I've heard stories of excessive fouling and some not being able to get them to group well while others have loved them. I.
    Personally- I've experienced fouling issues in a couple of rifles with Barnes bullets but on another hand have one that shoots them fantastic without issue. I think it's more of an individual rifle issue but Barnes seem to foul more barrels than cup and cores.

From a bullet performance standpoint, I don't think the carbine .308 develops enough velocity to really make the Barnes perform well in tissue at any kind of range... When I think of mono-metal bullets I generally think "super mags" like the RUM and Weatherbys. Barnes says they'll expand down to 2000fps- but I've seen a bunch of recovered ones without much upset that hit going faster than that.

You're likely going to be in the 2500-2600 fps range when all is said and done with a 165gr and the world is chock full of cheap cup and core bullets that will perform wonderfully in that velocity range. I'd save the Originals for something else.

I never thought of the velocity/expansion perspective of shooting them out of the short barreled carbine. I am a big fan of the cup and core bullets in my 30 '06. I really like the cheap cost of them compared to the premium bonded or Barnes type bullets. I guess I'll leave them on the shelf and work up the 165 and 180gr Hornady Interlocks. I picked up quite a few of them several years ago for around $14 per hundred. Man, I miss those days! Thanks Hodgeman for all of your input. It will probably take a few weeks before I get to the range, but I'll try and give a range report.