Thread: Anyone in Anchorage carry Royalex resin?

Default Anyone in Anchorage carry Royalex resin?

I picked up an old town royalex canoe at Sportsmans yesterday, and it was marked down do some scratches. Turns out some are rather deep and I'd like to patch them. I know there is a royalex resin available just for that purpose, but don't know if anyone in town carries it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I bought a patch kit at REI years ago. Not sure if they still carry it.

Paul,
    I don't think you'll find Rolex resin. You can rough up the area and use fiberglass resin with kevlar for the keel. If you have a lot of deep scratches on the bottom then rough it up, wipe it down real good with MEK, tape it off and paint it with urethane from Alaska Raft and Kayak.

West System makes a more flexible epoxy resin "g/flex" you can buy a repair kit part #655-k. There is no Royalex resin that I have heard of. Lots of info out there on patching or skid plating Royalex. I personally have had good results with the West Systems marine epoxy on Royalex, their website has good info as do others.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    Paul,
    I don't think you'll find Rolex resin. You can rough up the area and use fiberglass resin with kevlar for the keel. If you have a lot of deep scratches on the bottom then rough it up, wipe it down real good with MEK, tape it off and paint it with urethane from Alaska Raft and Kayak.
    I am planning my end of season repairs. I need to apply both a bow and stern skid plate, repair some deep scratches, and strengthen some stress cracks in the inside stern(most likely from use if a 2.5 HP motor)... I also parked the canoe under the eves and have some folds around mid ships to strengthen.. I have a gallon of urethane from Alaska raft... does this bond well? Does fiberglass resin bond? Most O am reading seems to be epoxy resin. I also read ABS filler works?

I absolutely LOVE my Wenonah spirit II...need to get her back in form. I also read about skid plates that are applied with a heat gun? The kevlar pads seem to have texture? Do these add drag? If fiberglass resin and matt bond... that seems the easiest and cheapest by far..

OK... maybe this is redundant, but I am doing a lot of research on Royalex.

Epoxy bonds better to the the vinyl outer layer than fiberglass resin. DO NOT USES ACETONE for surface prep. The kevlar bow and stern skid plates work well, though add 5 pounds... still interested in the heat gun models..

stress cracks I have inside the stern from my 2.5 HP motor can be built up with fiberglass mat, and Epoxy..

Anyone versed in Epoxy? I suppose this is not rocket science... though most of the products mentioned are not able to be shipped to Alaska.

I know in boat repair here... some boats need Epoxy resin as opposed to "polymer" resin most glass boats use? I imagine this is the ticket?

Also I am curious if the Urethane product I got from Alaska raft and Kyak would bond? I used it on my PR-49 raft, and was really happy with the result... seems it might bring back some semblance of smooth back to the war torn bottom of this canoe once I fill the gouges.

My guess is this may be a bad idea. Alaska raft and kayak was interested in hearing my results if I tried it... anyone?

thAnks

You want a two-part methacrylate adhesive or an epoxy specifically formulated for adhesion to abs or vinyl.

WestMarine in Diamond should carry Marine-Tex repair kit, which is reccomended by Old Town, but some people find it a bit stiff for working with fiberglass. If you are just filling scratches it's probably the stuff you want. You aren't supposed to thin it - so if you can work it with fiberglass great, otherwise use a methacrylate epoxy.

3M Scotchweld is a common 2-part methacrylite if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    You want a two-part methacrylate adhesive or an epoxy specifically formulated for adhesion to abs or vinyl.

WestMarine in Diamond should carry Marine-Tex repair kit, which is reccomended by Old Town, but some people find it a bit stiff for working with fiberglass. If you are just filling scratches it's probably the stuff you want. You aren't supposed to thin it - so if you can work it with fiberglass great, otherwise use a methacrylate epoxy.

3M Scotchweld is a common 2-part methacrylite if you can find it.
    thanks Dan... much appreciated!

Yea... I have a fiberglass seiner, so I'm somewhat versed in glass... but this bonding to vinyl and ABS is new to me.

I carry and tried JB weld this season, and see it's coming off. I'm curious if splash zone would bond? I've mended holes in my aluminum skiff with that, and it's still bonded.

I am thinking splash zone may be the emergency repair I need to carry to patch a hole and get out.... JB might even bond long enough to get out with a bit of surface prep.

I'll look around for that stuff you mentioned...