Thread: Dropped auger blade through ice

Default Dropped auger blade through ice

I'm sure it hasn't happened before but does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve an auger blade from about 8 ft. under? Thought about drilling some holes as close together as possible then chipping them out to get a bigger opening then using a large magnet or hook to snag it. Don't know if they make a magnet strong enough?

I have a Magnet that will do Anchorage [ lake hood ] PM if youwould like to use SID

I would get some parachute cord or tent cord and attach a rare earth magnet that is rated for 100 pounds. That should pull it up. These magnets can be bought for around 20 dollars. I just pulled up a 5 foot long ice chisel in Big Lake this year that I saw with my under camera. I used heavy cord with a large hook attached.

if it is in shallow water go to a large hard wear store [ lows / home depo ] an buy 1 or 2 coils of heave fence wire [ 25 FT long each ] strighten it out, put a cord down with it , then try to hook it an retrive it , don't know where you can get a good MAGNET in Fairbanks as I live in Anchorage
    [ got your PM ]

Mark the location with your GPS, go back out there in the summer time with a boat. Swim down there and grab it. I've never heard of a magnet powerful enough to pick up something that big, except for those huge magnet they use at a junk yard for picking up cars, but the coat hanger trick might work if you rigged up something long enough to reach it. Seems like a hassle to me. I think I would just try to retrieve it in the summer after the ice melts. It's only 8 feet deep right?

If its in Finger Lake and you happen to fish out a transom for a Alaska Series Inflatable while on your auger blade retrievle quest, its mine.

Unfortunately I'm in the interior and can't help you out. I'm going out armed with a 150# magnet and a hook, if that doesn't work then it will have to wait until summer.

do let us know how it worked out for your project works for you

Well to make a long story short, we came up empty handed. We found the spot first hole we bored, snagged it with the magnet and could get it up to the bottom of the ice. We bored more holes and enlarged the opening. It took several tries to get a good grip with magnet then after a drop we couldn't find it again. We drilled several holes around the perimiter expanding our search but could never locate it again. By then the wind had picked up and we were getting cold and frustrated so we gave up. We decided it wasn't worth the gas to travel back to the lake and come up empty again given the price of a replacement auger blade. We probably won't make a special trip back but plan on stopping by when we are in the area.

you tried thanks for the up date, an gas cost a lot today plus your time
    SID