Thread: Marlin JM Stamp Pics Anyone?

Default Marlin JM Stamp Pics Anyone?

I have been looking for a 45-70GS for some time now, I have looked at a few...some have the Rem stamp...but the one I looked at recently had the JM marked on the left side near the receiver, but upon taking a close up look it seemed to be engraved, kinda bumpy, not a smooth stamp. Is this a normal thing, or should it look like a stamp? Any nice clear, close up photos of the JM stamped part of your barrel submitted by you 45-70 Marlin owners would be very greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Look at the serial number if the first 2 numbers are 94... then it is a true marlin. If they are the letters MR... then its a (MR) "Marlin by Remington". It was also brought up on a different forum that it was possible for Remington to use old stock barrels, meaning the JM stamp would be on a "bad" Marlin. This was later refuted by a previous marlin employee who said that wasn't the case. I believe he said the stamping went on after the gun was assembled, but I could be misremembering that part. Hope this helps.

I have a JM stamped marlin and the JM looks funny, kind of engraved. I know it's a real one since I bought it before the change in ownership. Photo is crappy but hope it helps.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The serial number started with a 91 no letters in front of it...meaning it was made in 2009 I believe? Barrel stamp said it as made in North Haven Ct. It just seemed strange that the JM stamp (or engraved letters JM) didn't look like the rest of the barrel stamping. I really don't want to buy a Remlin.
    "Grin and Bear It"

From what I just found on a marlin forum you are right. This is a 2009 Marlin. In 2009 marlin was still in north haven and the gun was put together by marlin employees. In 2010 they moved and, though they still used a few 91... Serials, the barrels were stamped REP. All indications point towards this being a true Marlin. I would go ahead and buy it.

Thanks BRWHUNTER, I was worried some one may try to fake a stamp/engraving ( as it didn't look like a stamp) and pass it off as a Marlin. And thanks for the pic JR2, that stamp looks like a stamp from what I can see of it, the one I was looking at looked engraved.
    "Grin and Bear It"

mine is stamped with that also on the left side of the barrel. I also know for a fact i bought mine in 2009 and it says REP on the right side of the barrel. It also has the north haven on it. I thought they moved in 2009, obviously not the case. I wasnt sure if it was remlin or not. Either way it shoots great and i have had no issues at all.

Glad to help. I've been in the market for a real marlin 44 mag to go with my 1895m. Too bad I'm not willing to pay $1600 to $2400 for one! If you run across one in the sub $1000 range a pm would be great.

There are a couple gun shows coming up, that may be a good place to look. Lion's gun show in Eagle River this weekend and one out at Raven Hall in Palmer April 20-21st. Good luck!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    mine is stamped with that also on the left side of the barrel. I also know for a fact i bought mine in 2009 and it says REP on the right side of the barrel. It also has the north haven on it. I thought they moved in 2009, obviously not the case. I wasnt sure if it was remlin or not. Either way it shoots great and i have had no issues at all.
    That is nice to hear, as I have heard so many negative things about the Remington made Marlins. I'm curious as to what the first two numbers are on your serial number. Are there any letters in front of it? The REP on the right side of the barrel sounds like Remington made to me. I don't know that much about the Marlin, (this would be the first ever lever action rifle I've owned or used) but I have been doing lots of researching on them. I'm really looking forward to having and shooting one.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Tearbear, I have a 1975 JM 1895 that I'm not particularly attached to. Not interested in a cash sale, but if you're interested, I might be up for a trade.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't have any guns that I would want to part with for a trade. I saw that one you had, but I'm wanting the 1895GS in stainless, pre Remington made, with the JM stamp. How high a grain will these 45-70 guide models take? 300 to 325 grain sounds good for the first few rounds through it...sounds cheaper anyway, what is a good size grain bullet to start with? Should I take it to a gunsmith before trying it out? So many questions....
    "Grin and Bear It"

They will take upwards of 540 grain. The most common (historically) is the 405 gr LFP. I think that the 45/70 lends itself to the perfect hard cast round, and they are cheaper than jacketed. Of course, I'm a "heavy for caliber" kind of guy from the outset. Since the 405 is so common, and very useful, I would tailor my loads around these first.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If I remember correctly you shouldn't have a problem shooting even 500-550 grains. Though the 325/350/405 grain bullets don't try to dislocate your shoulder as much. And with the 45-70 you get to choose from a wider range of factory produced ammo.

I have a couple of boxes of Garrett 540 hammerheads, I shoot two or three rounds a year just to remind me what it feels like.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson