Thread: Ak Fishing News: Sportsmen Outraged Over Subsistence Changes

Arrow Ak Fishing News: Sportsmen Outraged Over Subsistence Changes

This news clip is from Alaska Fishing News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

The Anchorage Daily News reports that some sportsmen are outraged over the Federal Subsistence Board's action to award subsistence fishing rights to "rural residents" living in Ninilchik on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula.

"I'm a little outraged about this whole process," Kenai Peninsula sportfisherman Les Palmer told the Federal Subsistence Board as it drafted salmon and trout rules on the second day of meetings in Anchorage. "I haven't heard a word of concern from the board on the impact on the current users of the Kenai and Kasilof rivers. There just seems to be no reluctance on your part to do this."

"The rules could allow residents of Ninilchik, Hope and Cooper Landing to dipnet or hook thousands of salmon from the Kenai drainage. They also let Cooper Landing and Hope residents take rainbow trout and Dolly Varden from the river."

Read the entire story in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Fishing News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to
    webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Thumbs down So sad. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Newsbot View Post
    "I'm a little outraged about this whole process," Kenai Peninsula sportfisherman Les Palmer told the Federal Subsistence Board . . ."I haven't heard a word of concern from the board on the impact on the current users of the Kenai and Kasilof rivers. .".
    How very sad that Mr. Palmer is "outraged" that the FSB, in his view, has no concern for the impact of rural fisheries on current users of the Kenai and Kasilof users.

I wonder how many rural and native people were outraged as they watched a rampant "sportfishery" and "flossery" exhibit no concern for their impact on a way of life?

The rivers and the fish that used to be part of and helped sustain a whole way of life have become little more than a gong-show driven by greed and a lust for money, money, and more money.