Thread: Performance issues on the forums now?

Exclamation Performance issues on the forums now?

We are testing a new ad serving software solution for our 234 x 60 pixel banner ad inventory on OutdoorsDirectory.com Most of the ads now on the forums home page are served by this software. We're deploying it slowly and gradually ramping up the load so we can find out about performance issues that may crop up.

If you are noticing performance problems since yesterday, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks.....David

Default few things that may or may not be the fourm

Hi David,
    Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed earlier today that the smilies on the right are missing. Not often, but sometimes. I haven't noticed it this evening though. Yesterday and earlier today only the top half of the screen would show (down to maybe fishing forum or so) and I would have to stop and refresh my screen??

Neither have happened tonight, so my computer/connection may have just been on the fritz. If no one else has noticed anything, I would write this off as an issue on my end.
    -Josh

Anyone else seen this? I observe strange behavior on websites from time to time, too. Some of this is probably just malformed pages because of missing packets...but if others are getting weird results in the last couple of days, I'd like to know. Thanks, Josh.

David

I'm not sure if this applies to this but recently I have been noticing that after logging in and selection new posts I don't always see all the new postings. Alot of them are listed under the title "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." Just seems odd.

If I am understanding you correctly, I have observed the same behavior. I have assumed in my situation that because I often leave a browser tab open containing the forums that the system assumes I am looking at the forums when in fact I am not. It shows some threads as already read, even `tho I have not looked at them.

Could this be the same in your case?

David

Nope, I was paying specific attention to this after I noticed it happening. The computer would be off, booted up the next day and I log in, go to see the new threads and poof. Apparently I already read them, well at least as far as the forum is concerned

There's some aberation with the new posts function that I have not been able to figure out. Sometimes it doesn't display all the new posts, and sometimes it thinks that posts are already read.

Fortunately, most of the functions work most of the time. We're about to install a new version of this...going from 3.6.0 to 3.6.7. That may address some of these issues.

David

As far as performance and the new ad service goes, I have noticed a big difference. It takes 2-3 minutes sometimes to load the main forum page and in the status bar it says "Waiting for ads.outam.com...." Don't know if this might help but this is what I am noticing.

Default loading has slooooooooowed way down...

2-3 minutes for the full page to load...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Same here, main page is a slow loader since sunday for me....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Not good news

It appears that the problem started to get noticeable as we continued ramping up. The "slow loader since Sunday" was a good clue.

I think we'll have to go to plan B (or is it C?). I appreciate your taking the time to point this out.

Thanks, guys.

David

Default We're on it...

This isn't going to be an instant fix, but I think we have a promising lead. Once we get the details on how to deal with this (a few days, I hope), I think we can fix this pretty quickly.

David