Thread: Boat trolling systems

Default Boat trolling systems

So upon searching at all the listings for used boats that are out there, I want to ask you guys about the trolling systems that are available and what you think is the best option to have. My main use in a boat I wish to have is one I would mainly use for salmon fishing upon where I'd be trolling bait and lures using down riggers.
    I wish to have a boat with twin outboard motors and I want to ask about how you guys about what kind of trolling system do you have, such as do you use a Raymarine, Simrad, TR1, or some other means. What are your likes and dislikes about them?
    I've been looking at Parker boats and the reviews I've been reading about them have all been good, but there are very few of them here in Alaska. Alot of them are on the east coast for they are made in North Carolina. Alot of the ones I've seen listed for sale are do not have kicker motors attached to them whether they have twin or single motor attached, and I wondering if this kind of setup would work up here in the Alaska waters for salmon trolling.
    I don't want this thread to get into a discussion about which boat is better than the other or how aluminum boats are better than fiberglass etc etc. I wanna know about te different types of trolling systems that are available you guys may have and what your feelings are about them. Thanks

Here is what I have as far as motors. My main is a 150 and I have an 8hp high thrust kicker. I use them both for trolling depending on a couple factors. If I am making long trolls where I don't have to make a run back up to the top of the drag very often then I use the 8, if I am working an area where I need to motor back up to the top often I use the main. There are a lot of guys with no trolling motor and that is fine, the only deal is the extended hours idling with that motor which could lead to more frequent oil changes and maybe shorter engine life.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Not sure how it is going to work yet, but I am installing a Pro-trollmaster on a 9.9hp Merc tiller with speed control only. I have the main and kicker connected with a quick connect rod so that I steer from off of the main from the helm. I am hoping to throttle control from the helm with it, the hit the idle button, go to the back to handle the fish and use the tiller during that time....then back to the helm while bonnking and gilling and icing.....easy enough to install it seems.

I have a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust and it will push my goat about 7 knots, why put all those hours on your main motors

It's rough puttng all those hours on an 18k main outboard.

Those parkers are nice. Watch out for delam/rot. Wood in those boats.

My 'perfect', designated salmon trolling (sport) would be a 23' Robolo, with twin 150 Yamaha 4 Strokes. Troll with the 150, switching every other trip, to keep hours in sync.
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...roke-sale.html

Furuno Nav Net.

new one:
    http://www.robalo.com/2013/robalo/Ro...d=29&page=home

I don't fret not having a cabin for summer trolling, as I like quick access to rods. Winter... hmm...

Haven't trolled mine yet. But plan to soon. If you want to take a look at a 2520 Parker let me know

Charterboat Operator

28' alumaweld with twin 150 yammys (old school) i had a 25 kicker that I eventually took off. Now strictly run one of the mains, alternating to keep the hour meters the same. For me it was a PITA to switch motors all the time, trolling in the wind was virtually impossible with the kicker, running back against the tide, whick we do often, you would have to pull the kicker and fire up the mains, then stop and reset the kicker .....
    it is far easier to just alternate the mains IMO.
    Love my raymarine C series, with the 1KW airmar transducer.
    hope that helps, PB

Thanks for the replies. I understand that by having a kicker motor to used for trolling that it saves on hours used on your main motor. But upon walking the docks in different coastal towns and such I haven't seen many boats that are equipped with twin main motors have a smaller kicker motor attached to the offshore bracket or anywhere. So I ask are just certain types of boats with twin main motors that can have a kicker mounted to be used for trolling. Also can an autopilot steering system be installed. Which ones are better? I'm looking for a fiberglass/pilothouse type boat with twin main motors that can have a smaller kicker motor mounted to be used for trolling to save usage and replacement of the bigger main motors. Plus a boat that has a well sheltered cockpit and a large flush deck for fishing space. That's kinda why I'm leaning towards the Parker boats.

http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pages/Pro3/

Troll master makes the control box and the panther pro-steer does the steering control...so, Yes it can be done - and nicely, for a price - dependant upon your kicker model.

http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pages/ElectroSteer/