Thread: 1989 Mercury 15 HP 2 Stroke Prop Questions

Default 1989 Mercury 15 HP 2 Stroke Prop Questions

Hi folks. I have an issue with trying to find the correct prop for my Merc. Its an older 15 horse 2 stroke. I got it a couple years ago from another forum member along with a Zodiac. My problem is that the prop is beat all to crap on it and I need to replace it. I bought one from a shop in town last summer and the pitch is wrong and I can't return it. The RPM's go too high very quickly. It is a Black Max prop, part number 48-828152A12. It is a 9-1/4 diameter by 7 pitch RH rotation. today I purchased according to the book at West Marine, a QuickSilver Black Diamond, QA2128R, 9 inch by 9 pitch, RH. The odd thing is that the box is labeled Mercury/Mariner 6-15 HP and Force 9.9-15 HP Outboards. The prop that came off my motor has stamped in the hub, 48-42522-9. I am no boat parts genius but that number with the -9 looks like 9 inch diameter but I don't know what the rest means. On the outer hub is stamped A12 and below that an "L 9P". The prop from West Marine fits the splines and it even looks to be the same diameter as what I have.... but I don't want to run the motor with it and own it if its not the correct application. What is the correct way to find out?
    The prop that came with the motor works fine RPM wise its just time to replace it because its just beat up too bad. The motor came with a RockHopper which works well. I did do a search and read through 6 pages of posts with "prop" as the search parameter. Thanks for any input.
    Mark
    Now retired from the Air Force and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Hi folks. I have an issue with trying to find the correct prop for my Merc. Its an older 15 horse 2 stroke. I got it a couple years ago from another forum member along with a Zodiac. My problem is that the prop is beat all to crap on it and I need to replace it. I bought one from a shop in town last summer and the pitch is wrong and I can't return it. The RPM's go too high very quickly. It is a Black Max prop, part number 48-828152A12. It is a 9-1/4 diameter by 7 pitch RH rotation. today I purchased according to the book at West Marine, a QuickSilver Black Diamond, QA2128R, 9 inch by 9 pitch, RH. The odd thing is that the box is labeled Mercury/Mariner 6-15 HP and Force 9.9-15 HP Outboards. The prop that came off my motor has stamped in the hub, 48-42522-9. I am no boat parts genius but that number with the -9 looks like 9 inch diameter but I don't know what the rest means. On the outer hub is stamped A12 and below that an "L 9P". The prop from West Marine fits the splines and it even looks to be the same diameter as what I have.... but I don't want to run the motor with it and own it if its not the correct application. What is the correct way to find out?
    The prop that came with the motor works fine RPM wise its just time to replace it because its just beat up too bad. The motor came with a RockHopper which works well. I did do a search and read through 6 pages of posts with "prop" as the search parameter. Thanks for any input.
    Mark

One other question on this--what is the difference if any between the 9 inch diameter and the 9-1/4?? Does it matter that much as long as the pitch is correct for application?
    Now retired from the Air Force and loving it!