Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stove choice for Arctic Over 12x12

Default Stove choice for Arctic Over 12x12

So this Sportsman's show I broke down and finally bought an Arctic Over 12x12 w/ vestibule. I am super pumped about it. However, I did not buy the stove. I thought I would wait on that and do a little research, and where better then this forum?

So I ask AO owners, or people who had wood stoves in their tents, what do you recommend or suggest? It is the 12x12, weight and size isn't much of an issue, but lighter and more packable definitely scores points.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks

I broke down and bought one too and just picked mine up today. I got the 10x10 though. I stayed 2 weeks in an Artika on kodiak, and their standard sheet metal stove worked great. It kept the tent plenty warm (actually got too warm in there a couple times) we also used it for cooking. The only complaint I had was that we had the wrong size chimney so we had to improvise one. Be careful if you use duraflame, those things burn really hot and put out a lot of stuff that will clog the chimney.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I'm a firm believer in the Nu Way propane stove. I also have a 10x10 AO with the smallest stove they offer. I bought one off eBay from a place in Mn with shipping it was about $150-160. Never tried one of their woodstoves but I might pick one up for when I'm in wooded areas.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I just ordered and received a NuWay 3500 stove. Ordered direct from them online a got the entire package with chimney for $289 delivered.

Just wondering how many nights to expect a 20lb bottle to last?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I just ordered and received a NuWay 3500 stove. Ordered direct from them online a got the entire package with chimney for $289 delivered.

Just wondering how many nights to expect a 20lb bottle to last?
    i have the 4000.. two burner. .it will last 16 hours on one 20lb btl
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

16 hours for a 20lb tank doesn't seem like a lot, especially if you go for 4-5 nights, or am I mistaken?

Also, how is the propane stove for drying clothes and gear out

Is that two nights on low to keep it above freezing or two nights sleeping on top of you bag in a sauna?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I have an AO 12 extreme. I have both the Packer wood stove and the two burner NuWay. I find the NuWay lacking for sub zero temps. It is great for the shoulder seasons but I don't care for it in the dead of winter. That being said, the NuWay is a very good way to have all night heat. I used it at ArcticMan last year and it was great. It is vented and will dry clothes the same as a woodstove. The packer stove with 5 inch pipe is able to burn you out at -30. I put a reducer on it to run a 3 inch pipe like the NuWay and that has tamed it down a bit as well as being able to switch stoves at will. For long hunting trips I find the that the woodstove is the only way to go. At about a tank every day or two, I can not haul enough propane for 10 day but I can usually gather wood. Each stove has its purpose and I like having both.

Thanks Jeff! That's what I was looking for. I think I will be getting a wood stove for starters, and possibly looking at a Nu-Way down the road

I have a Kifaru Large wood stove, a nu-way, and a buddy heater, and little buddy heater. Just spent 5 days in my my AO 10X10 last week with my wife. We took the Bigger buddy heater (the one with the two ceramic plates) and even with lows at -25 at night and -20 into 9 am that morning I was still sleeping with my bag unzipped on medium setting and was probably low 60s were we slept elevated on some cots. We basically ran the buddy heater 10-11 pm to 9-10 am....with only a half full tank to start with (I have a carbon fiber tank so I can see how much is in there) for 4 nights. With roughly 2.5 gallons of propane for a total of about 45 or so hours of runtime either on low or medium. The last night had to bust out a couple 1 pound propane tanks on either side but we persevered . No granted most other nights were about 0 to -10 so that certainly helps. The Nu-way is nice and would like to use it more, but just don't....will likely be willing to sell mine.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    Also, how is the propane stove for drying clothes and gear out
    its vented so is the same as a wood stove heat..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    16 hours for a 20lb tank doesn't seem like a lot, especially if you go for 4-5 nights, or am I mistaken?
    thats on HIGH both burners.. we took two up the haul road year before last and ran it on low at night.. and had to burn a tank off before the plane came to get us on day 8... keep in mind the 4000 is the largest one.. i have 8 and 10 man tents to heat... summer time during rainy season... i run it inthe vestibul of my cabelia 8 man guide model.. and a bottle will last a week...

in the trailer/camper at -40... 16 hours

meet on face book here

Ahh, ok. Glad you explained the different situations. I have a buddy heater, and was curious about those as well.

Again, I appreciate all the help and advice guys! I literally can't wait to use this **** thing!

If you want to burn wood, this is one of the best quality stoves you will find: http://fourdog.com/view-all-tent-stoves

My buddy uses one of their steel camp stoves in his AO10 and it works very well. I don't recall what size stove he has, but it's top quality. You can have to large of a wood stove in a small tent, so try and size the stove accordingly. Have fun.

The fourdog ones look nice, but they are heavy as hell. The titanium one looks good, but a lil more $$ than I want to spend (spent it all on the tent haha)

Titanium is nice. You can burn hotter and don't have to worry about rust. Worth the Money!

I used the scout stove for a few years burning mostly duraflame logs. It worked great, sometimes to good actually. On a trip out to the bus on stampede trail a few years ago we were in -30 weather and a duraflame log in one of their camp stoves kept my Arktika between 80 and 100 degrees. Had a heck of seut problem in the morning, but 3 logs lasted 12 hours and kept everyone very warm.

Last year I sold it and bought a nuwave stove. It lasted a week for moosecamp and I still had half of a 20lb bottle left over. I didnt use it to much, just a couple of hours in the morning and maybe a couple of hours each night to take the bite off. A lot less maintenance and a lot easier to control the heat.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I have the 12x12 AO with the large alaskan wood stove...we added the water tank and shelf..makes it nice to have a warm beverage in the morning ...we did a camp out -15F or so...slept ON TOP of the sleeping bags and cot...It stays nice and cozy...just have to make sure you have a dry wood source...The propane stove they are offering now uses a smaller chimney and stove jack...Alaska Tent and Tarp said they would make an adapter for about 50 bucks that uses the existing velcro so you can change between propane and propane...

I have been very impressed with the AO in pretty harsh conditions...

Luke,
    I may be interested in buying your stove. Let me know what you have and how much if you want to sell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast