Thread: Lake Creek Bows over Mem Day

Default Lake Creek Bows over Mem Day

Planning on floating from the lake to the mouth for bows over four days. Anyone fished this in may or think this trip will be a bust?

the weather is usually nice for memorial weekend, lots of sunny days. water levels on the high side due to spring melt. that may make finding campsites a little harder. down at the mouth rainbow fishing is usually slow over memorial weekend, have never fished up at the lake that time of year. would think smolt patterns would probably produce up there that time of year. chlelatna lake usually doesnt break up until june but the outlet lagoon opens up much earlier and should be fine over memorial weekend but you might want to check on that with the chelatna lake lodge owners. landing in the lagoon is no problem, a lightly loaded plane can take off from the lagoon or if water is high enough can take off down the river in the straightaway below the lagoon. last falls flood was the highest water i have seen in the 18 yrs i have been going out there. if you are the first one going down for the year you will be the scout looking for trees in the water, channel changes etc. if possible, flying over the river on the way up to the lake would probably be a good idea.

If it's like any other rainbow stream directly after ice out, look for fish that aren't spawning to be tucked into feeding lies in holes, and stuck tight to wood and cutbanks. Spawning fish will be in places with medium current and proper sized gravel. (some may be in the tribs) Spawners in tannic systems will be about anywhere and you'll know em when you catch them, can be rather aggressive on big patterns, in clear systems they will be tucked under overhanging brush. Spawned out fish will be chillin out in slower water along cut banks and in the holes.....scarfing whatever they can find after gettin all shagged out.

This pattern is repeated across the state. If you are lucky enough to be there when they are smacking smolt (this is not as surefire a thing as most would think), they will often be in a broad area that is shallow where they have less 3-D space to chase them in....

I love fishing right after ice out, it's almost more like bassin than Alaskan rainbow fishing as they are often tight to cover. I like Dolly llama's, black starlight leaches, any kind of whtie flesh fly thing (articulated usually) and smolt patterns, I usually expect to donate some terminal tackle to the fishing gods in the spring.