Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP 2A Forum....

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Long live AOD!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The meek may dang well inherit the earth. Purple Hearts for not combat wounds. A new metal ranked above my Bronze Star for people never setting foot in the combat zone. Trophys for all ain't just for tee-ball anymore and the thin skin win a battle on the 2A forum even if they never used it or made a post. My America is gone and voting and money could not stem the tide but I tried.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The meek may dang well inherit the earth. Purple Hearts for not combat wounds. A new metal ranked above my Bronze Star for people never setting foot in the combat zone. Trophys for all ain't just for tee-ball anymore and the thin skin win a battle on the 2A forum even if they never used it or made a post. My America is gone and voting and money could not stem the tide but I tried.
    I hear ya Will, we even won the vote if you un-split the factions to yes or no but to no avail as seems the new normal.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default we failed...

How about a metal for falling all over one's self to be politically correct and not offend anyone?

The threads that have attracted the largest "reads" and participation are the one's that had some disagreement among members and stirred up some passion - but that doesn't seem to matter.

We tried to prevent it from happening, but today we've become a spineless, gut-less, do-nothing society. So, so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    How about a metal for falling all over one's self to be politically correct and not offend anyone?

The threads that have attracted the largest "reads" and participation are the one's that had some disagreement among members and stirred up some passion - but that doesn't seem to matter.

We tried to prevent it from happening, but today we've become a spineless, gut-less, do-nothing society. So, so sad.

For once we agree . . . +1

For those of you who feel that this is about making people feel good about themselves or protecting the thin-skinned, you couldn't be more wrong. If you need a scapegoat and it helps to make assumptions about the motivations behind the move, have at it. I will tell you, though, that this is purely about business focus. When Mike and I discussed this last night, the entire discussion was about this site's primary focus, not about hurt feelings or anything of the sort.

Question Wth . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For those of you who feel that this is about making people feel good about themselves or protecting the thin-skinned, you couldn't be more wrong. If you need a scapegoat and it helps to make assumptions about the motivations behind the move, have at it. I will tell you, though, that this is purely about business focus. When Mike and I discussed this last night, the entire discussion was about this site's primary focus, not about hurt feelings or anything of the sort.

Speaking for myself, I have not made any assumptions about the motivation for AOD closing discussion of Second Amendment issues. I simply find it baffling.

No discussion of religion, no discussion of politics, and now no discussion of Second Amendment issues while simultaneously continuing to allow discussion of hugely controversial topics such as resource and fisheries management, including discussion of federal impact.

Just don't get it . . simple as that. Alaskans haven't the ability to discuss religion, politics, or Constitutional issues on these fora yet are quite able to do so on others?

Beats the whoopee outta me . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't wish to question censorship, but this kinda smacks of it, doesn't it ???

The comments will be much harder to police now since they will no longer be concentrated in one forum and will once again spill over into other areas of the AOD. JMHO

Doesn't surprise me.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I don't wish to question censorship, but this kinda smacks of it, doesn't it ???
    Yes, I suppose it does. We cannot be all things to all people. Just as every business must choose what they will focus on, so too we must make that choice. We do not intend to be a catch-all discussion forum, but rather one that supports the mission of the rest of the site - that being the Alaskan Outdoors. While shooting is central to our focus, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting, but rather about the ability of the citizens to resist tyranny and defend their lives in the face of danger. This is not primarily an outdoors issue, but rather a political one. Mike and I are both staunch defenders of the 2nd Amendment, but we have decided that the site we provide is not the best venue for such a discussion forum.

I do not intend to re-hash the discussion that was carried out over the past week or so, but I want folks to be clear that this is not about caving to a handful of folks who have complained. This is a decision that was made thoughtfully with the primary concern being the direction of Alaska Outdoors Directory. We understand that many will not appreciate this change, yet we feel it is in the best interest of the site as a whole.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Of course it's censorship . . but censorship with a purpose.

Brian says that censorship of Second Amendment issues was about "business focus." I can understand that . . all businesses try to find their niche in the marketplace, because marketing effort expended outside that perceived niche ends up being counterproductive.

Unless I'm mistaken, censorship of religion, politics, and Second Amendment issues is intended to narrow the business focus of this forum in order to maximize profit by appealing to a specific group of consumers.

Nothing wrong with that . . it's just business.

I never noticed the 2a forum. oh well, back to my early mornin read of "hell I was there" (Elmer Keith). Thanks Will, this book is great stuff.

On the bright side, spring bear is just around the corner.

I don't think you guys who were, "all into that discussion," realize How Much of the AOD in general was being overwhelmed
    by all that stuff

From my perspective,...I was getting totally worn out on it

Entered the discussion for a while,...maybe learned a bit,...but that was Months Ago,...and it was getting really old
    coming over to the Alaskan Outdoor Forums,...to read some stuff about Hunting, Fishing, Boating, etc.

and having to wade through what seemed like 60% of the postings, all about that subject, and seeming to say the same ole stuff
    Everybody agreeing with each other, patting each other on the back about it,...
    then someone stirring up a bunch of anger,....
    then everybody jumping on that,....
    "Yeah, Yeah,..we gotta stick together, cause our nation is crumbling,..."
    and On, and On,.........?????

as some have mentioned many times,...there are Forums online, that do Politics,...All Day Long, if you want
    and make no mistake about it, that is a Political Discussion,..to the Extreme

but as for the Outdoors pursuits in Alaska,....
    if your High Capacity Magazine Gun Rights, etc. totally control your enjoyment of the outdoors

you might enjoy the fact that all that discussion is over,...it's getting light out there,...get away from your keyboard
    Plan a Black Bear Hunt,... Go Catch a Winter King Salmon, See if you can find a Fox to shoot at,...furs are prime

or find another Internet Political Forum,...and miss out
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well I for one I'm glad to see this decision, and I applaud the move. Good luck enforcing it. It is going to be nigh unto impossible to keep the 2A out of unrelated topics; people just always find a way to insert it.

Kodiak said it better than I can, but I completely agree with him.

Marcus, you and I usually agree on a lot of things, but we're going to split here. This move, as it appears to me is not an effort to censor controversy, but more about relevance.

The controversy over fishery and wildlife management is relevant to the outdoor life of Alaska, relevant to hunting and fishing, relevant to the purpose of the website. The rancid political extremism, exhibited here in the past year, over the gun control issue, indeed the gun control issue as a whole, is simply not relevant to purpose of the website, and, as Kodiak rain so aptly put it, it distracts from the purpose of the website. At least, as I interpre the site's purpose.

I'd like to see the forum leadership carry this decision to its logical extension, and eliminate all of the discussions in the handgun forum about self defense and the taking of human life, which also is irrelevant to hunting and fishing and the outdoor Alaskan lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Speaking for myself, I have not made any assumptions about the motivation for AOD closing discussion of Second Amendment issues. I simply find it baffling.

No discussion of religion, no discussion of politics, and now no discussion of Second Amendment issues while simultaneously continuing to allow discussion of hugely controversial topics such as resource and fisheries management, including discussion of federal impact.

Just don't get it . . simple as that. Alaskans haven't the ability to discuss religion, politics, or Constitutional issues on these fora yet are quite able to do so on others?

Beats the whoopee outta me . . . .

Long live the Alaska surfing forum.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I wonder what will happen when these issues directly impact hunting and shooting in Alaska. The "business" of hunting and how it will impact the economy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast