Thread: alternatives to the main rivers

Default alternatives to the main rivers

just wondering if there are other choices for moose hunting other than the central rivers, i.e. talkeetna, su, deshka, yenta? is it worth shooting across the inlet to the west side of cook? seems like there are a few decent sized rivers and lots of lowland on the coast based on google earth. so, has anyone else tried it? thanks

Absolutely worth it.
    BK

ok bkmail, not looking for secret spots, but have you done it? just curious this will be my first season with the jet and want every possible chance I can get to fill a moose tag. I want nothing more than a nice set of horns strapped to the front of my boat and a bow full of meat, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    ok bkmail, not looking for secret spots, but have you done it? just curious this will be my first season with the jet and want every possible chance I can get to fill a moose tag. I want nothing more than a nice set of horns strapped to the front of my boat and a bow full of meat, thanks
    West side =native corp. I would sell the jet and buy cub time, but that's not what you asked. Try the Kluetina or Glulkana above sourdough. Don't be be disappointed it will take time [years] for you to find you're Happy hunting ground with your jet. But when you do it it will provide a deep sense of satisfaction and pride to you. Good luck and happy hunting!

I have hunted across the inlet. I did not take a boat there and would not take my boat there. There are some awful tides, mud flats, and dirty water to deal with. However, there is some awesome hunting over in the Beluga, Tyonek, Chuitna area.
    Lots of roads to drive and plenty of old logged area to hunt. It gets little pressure and has lots to offer.
    BK

If you had a lot of experience hunting rivers in the SE and just wanted to go some ware new, as long as you could get across the inlet safely, I would say go for it.

Before you go what method do you plan on using to hunt moose floating, stalking, calling or a combination and where along the river will you hunt? Unless your interested in going camping you have a lot of homework ahead of you no matter what river you're on.

I will second this...but watch out in the fall...BEARS BEARS BEARS.. for that matter...from May to October..BEARS BEARS BEARS

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I have hunted across the inlet. I did not take a boat there and would not take my boat there. There are some awful tides, mud flats, and dirty water to deal with. However, there is some awesome hunting over in the Beluga, Tyonek, Chuitna area.
    Lots of roads to drive and plenty of old logged area to hunt. It gets little pressure and has lots to offer.
    BK
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

bears bears bears, that's not necessarily a bad thing unless you don't want to find them. Me, I might want to find one, from all the reports sounds like something I might want to try once, with plenty of planning and the time to execute, it might be worthwhile, and yes, I will look up the native land maps before going

You have to really watch the weather and tides to cross from Ship Creek - and you better know the moving mud lines...it sucks when you start digging mud with your prop when you are 3/4 of a mile from the "shore" and you are in cook inlet on an outgoing tide.....