Thread: alternatives......

Default alternatives......

so, just flying around with google earth, and was wondering, why can't you just shoot across the inlet from kenai to a river on the other side? its only about 10-15 miles straight across, and there looks to be a few good rivers and lots of coastline. anybody ever taken a trip across or do most people stick with PWS because of the water and wildlife? lie, can you make it from kenai to crescent lake and redoubt mountain lodge by way of jet boat? thanks

Don't Do it. Short Answer. There is a BIG reason.

ok, that reply only peaks my interest, whats the big reason? gotta know now, a longer answer is ok, I like to read

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Don't Do it. Short Answer. There is a BIG reason.
    And the reason is....

sent from my igloo

Wicked current, mud flats, and silt laden water.
    BK

What kind of jet boat? We talking about a kenai river sled or some big beast with a v-hull and a cabin on it?

I have been across the inlet from Ninilchik in a 30ft Alumaweld Offshore and got the crap scared out of me out there, I have also been out there when it looked like you could use a canoe. I have seen that water go from flat calm to 6 ft standing waves in hour as well. The other side also has been sand bars (mud) and lots of flats which equal big tide rips. Search for the thread about the clam diggers who died a couple years back.

Short answer is don't do it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    so, just flying around with google earth, and was wondering, why can't you just shoot across the inlet from kenai to a river on the other side? its only about 10-15 miles straight across, and there looks to be a few good rivers and lots of coastline. anybody ever taken a trip across or do most people stick with PWS because of the water and wildlife? lie, can you make it from kenai to crescent lake and redoubt mountain lodge by way of jet boat? thanks
    You and I are on the same wave length. I was looking at that yesterday too....

there are boats on that side....

yes you have to be aware of the weather. No different than any other time you put your boat in.

More info would be appreciated.

There are ways to get into those rivers over there, but it isn't as easy as one would think. Like it was mentioned, the mud flats there are way out there. The tide will go out 2 miles or more sometimes and the water will be very shallow all the way. If you get caught up in there on the run out, your boat will go dry in a matter of minutes.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I know folks that go over for the clamming, don't know anyone who runs rivers over there. I believe some of the Tyonek natives hunt up the McArthur in boats, not sure what the land ownership is there.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

boat is a 22ft inboard v8 jet, closed bow and full cover, semi vee, decent at driving just not a pro yet, i get where you are coming from on the tide rips have experienced a bit of that before and its not fun (especially when the boat wont start). thanks for the replies, was jsut curious because i wanted and outlet so i wasnt hunting the same moose as the others in a drove of hunters on teh su or talkeetna

Winibezold,
    Use your boat as a transpotation vehicle to get to a location, then be willing to hoof it off the river or cover some country with a spotting scope and you will find moose. Most folks don't want to work too hard and aren't willing to leave the boat.
    It's like fishing for reds on the Russian river with tourists.....if you know what you are doing you will pull fish out of the river regardless.
    BK

I got ya, all makes perfect sense, i was looking forward to finding moose where there weret 1000000 otehr boats cruising the river, ive got no problem trucking with the pack, and a new swaro spotter has to get broken in at some point right?

Wini,
    I think you get the idea.
    If something doesn't feel right and your sixth sense alarm is going off...heed the warning. There is a reason why folks don't boat across the inlet and run up the rivers from Anch. port. (I know of one person on here that does it but will let him chime in if he feels like it...)
    Your not the first with this idea and won't be the last. Hopefully you'll explore all over the state safely!
    BK

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    boat is a 22ft inboard v8 jet, closed bow and full cover, semi vee, decent at driving just not a pro yet, i get where you are coming from on the tide rips have experienced a bit of that before and its not fun (especially when the boat wont start). thanks for the replies, was jsut curious because i wanted and outlet so i wasnt hunting the same moose as the others in a drove of hunters on teh su or talkeetna
    be careful on land ownership, native and lots of Park land that you cannot hunt on.
    i go over 4-5 trips a year, out of deep creek, it can get NASTY or can be flat, just gotta pick your days.