Thread: Whats your favorite halibut/ ling jig?

Default Whats your favorite halibut/ ling jig?

What is your favorite halibut/ling jig and what color? there are a lot of jigs out there. there are the lead head curly tail such as BoneYard jigs and there are also solid jigs like the Crippled Herring. What is your favorite style and color?

My 'go-to' is the Kodiak Custom with a blue/glow skirt.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Depends on when, where and how deep. We have a cycle we go through from leadheads to darts and back to leadheads through the season, but color and size vary too. We use them from as light as 1 oz to as heavy as 32 oz, and in a range of colors. Wouldn't be without any of them.

Like AK2AZ said, my go to is the Kodiak Custom Blue/Glow or a Boneyard White/Red Grub on a 16 oz Lead Head. DEADLY!!!!!!!! This year I'm not going to use much bait at all. Might take it along for the ones that can't or refuse to work for their fish, but that's it.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I have done the best with white or glow in the dark grub with a 16oz lead head.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Rob and Hoose, why the 16oz leadhead vs a lighter leadhead? Is it just a case of needing to get down deep?

I fish shallower than most,but we use a lead head from 1-4 oz with berkley gulp tails, biggest I can find in white or glow, typically about 5 inches. Worked real well last year. It out fished frozen bait, probably tied fresh jigged bait and the only thing it didn't out fish was live bait.

I pour all my own jigs from 1oz to 24oz with owner or trokar or vmc hooks and tube baits in white green blue or white, I always use the lightest jig I need that gets to the bottom depending on current wind and depth. While anchored halibut fishing I always drop the jig down and a white jig normally out fishes the circle hooks. I've caught 150+pd halibut on a 1.5 oz white jig and been surprised by king salmon while bottom fishing, they are killer for all kinds of salmon. From Fresh water lake trout to warm or cold saltwater, you won't find a more versatile jig for multiple species I just got back from panama and the jigs outperformed their gear in everything from top water poppers shallow to deep water bottom fish.

I've always used the 16 oz because I made a bunch of them a few years back. 12's are nice too, but I do tend to fish a little deeper.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My favorite jig is the one catching the fish Somedays they'll hit anything. some days they are very paticular. Here are a few of my favorites.

Based on depth and current I'll use from 8-24 oz lead heads and metal slabs from 4 to 16 oz. If I was just starting out I'd get a couple of 8 oz jigs, and 1/2 dozen 12 and 16's and a few 24's. It's nice to fish with 8's, but it doesn't take much current before they won't hold bottom. 16's are a good weight because they're not so heavy that they'll quickly wear you out, and they can handle a fair bit of current before you have to go with a heavier jig. Jigs don't have to be as heavy as a bait rig to hold bottom. Where you may need 2 or 3 pounds to hold your bait rig down you'll be fine with a 16 oz jig.

White grubs are a good starting point, but I really like the jumbo shad's in green or white and the scampi styles are good. In addition to white try green, orange and root beer. For metal slab jigs I like white with blue or white with green in 7-12 oz. You can typically get away with a lighter metal slab jig than a grub tail.

The jigs are just as adept at catching lingcod, rockfish and p-cod. I even caught an eal last year.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Rob and Hoose, why the 16oz leadhead vs a lighter leadhead? Is it just a case of needing to get down deep?
    I like the 16oz for dealing with depth and current. Also, a lot of times I will jig while anchored up while others are bait fishing. If I am fishing out of whittier or seward where I drift a lot more, I will use smaller jigs in the 8-12oz range.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have to agree with Paul in whatever's working on that day.
    I do like the torpedo jigs a lot.
    Especially in white.
    Got some new stuff to try this year and can't wait for that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'd go with Paul H, the pictures are perfect. Cool carrying case for your jigs.

Hands down the one I buy the most of, and everyone fights over on my deck is the 10-16 jeopardizer. It is the one in the middle picture of paul h's uploads., and the very bottom left of that photo. only thing different is i use a treble hook. Rock fish, ling cod, halibut you name it. They all love the jeopardizer.....

24 oz jig head with a bone yard 11' grub
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

16 to 24 oz jig with a red and white boneyard grub. I've caught fish on that while nothing was hittin the bait. Just gotta be quick and make sure not to let the fish nibble on them cus they can rip the tail off pretty quick, but they are the best we have found so far.

-12-16oz leadhead with 10" white glo Kalin's big n grub
    -12-16oz Gibbs cod jig. I swap out the cheap treble with a stronger Owner or Gammy hook.

I've been using the silver norwegian cod jigs with good success on lings but they are getting pretty expensive these days