Thread: would a Mountain Ash Tree do ok in wasilla?

Default would a Mountain Ash Tree do ok in wasilla?

i know nothing about gardening but we are trying to attract a variety of birds (waxwings). can i even get them here? how would it do?
    "f/64 and be there"

They do well down here in Moose Pass if I can keep the Moose away in the winter.

I think it would do well. I am on the south side of Kachemak Bay and they grow wild here at higher elevations, but they do not seem to like being transplanted so I would go with nursery stock if it were available. Maybe it is just a matter of digging deep enough to dislodge the tap root without harming the plant. A nursery plant would be in a container with the tap root depth restricted by the size of the container. I have noticed that nursery stock tends to be upright in its growth patterns and wild plants grow more like a bush. This could be a product of pruning and training or it could be different types of the same plant. Our temperatures here get down to zero in the winter and our summers are cold and wet. You might have to water it occasionally in dry weather but overall I think it would be a very nice addition.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Lots of folks in Eagle River have Mountain Ash trees in their yards. Keep in mind that moose LOVE them in the winter!

My neighbors has them & they do well in the Wasilla area.
    South sunny side works best.

We have mountain ash growing naturally in our yard and we are up the Susitna valley quite a ways...

I'm off of KGB and we have a couple in the back yard..

Thanks folks I will give it a try!
    "f/64 and be there"

My grandfather lived most of his adult life in Seward. When he died they buried him in his boyhood home town of Vernal. Utah. Some how grandma got a mountain ash planted outside the cemetery fence as near to his grave as possible. It was thriving a few years later. Don't know if it is now. If a mountain ash can grow with a little care in a sage brush desert you should be fine with one.