Thread: Ivishak River

Default Ivishak River

I have a few questions regarding the Ivishak River north of the Brooks: Anyone run up the Ivishak with a jet boat? Lot of boat/airboat/float traffic?
    Is there a descent launch at the Ivishak?
    Anyone have their vehicles tampered with at the launch site?

Tim

Default lots of people

there is alot of people that run up the ivashak, that is what half of the threads on hear are about, ive been up there the last couple years and have had no problems with people messing with are trucks, but you have to run up the sag to get to the ivashak if i am not mistaken, thats what we did last year, you run the sag for awhile and then hit the ivashak where it runs into the sag, pretty awesome trip running the rivers and the bou make it better, the drive up there can get a little long, we only had 3 or 4 flats last year between the 2 of the rigs

I've run it with jet boats a couple times; tried to another time but there wasn't enough water. The water level fluctuates very quickly and chances are there'll be a lot of pushing, pulling and cussing to get your boat off a gravel bar and back in the water. The Ivishak ain't as easy to read as other rivers...no idea why, but places that look deepr have no water, and places you'd avoid on other rivers seem to be the channel. I've parked the boat one night and in the morning had to drag 50 yards or so to get to deep enough water to float it....something to keep in mind.

i run it regularly. launch is at mile 49.9 (4-5 miles north of pump station #2) i have had to use jack to get the boat off trailer, last couple years . two years ago it was very very low. i was about the only boat running there by the time i left. there is usually multiple people camped at the launch. which is what i do. jet boats can run it . first mile of sag is a little difficult in low water. ivashak isn't really bad......very clear water . some areas are braided out alot but more way up by bluffs. launch is just a gravel bar. and expect to get truck all the way in the water, my front tires are usually 10-15 feet from shore.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER