Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting guide wanted C.L.

Default Sheep hunting guide wanted C.L.

I've seen a lot of interest request for jobs i think this is a first.

Reply Reply to: t6m8p-3693744333@job.craigslist.org [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-03-30, 9:47AM AKDT

Sheep Hunting guide Wanted (Soldotna, Alaska)
    I need a licensed registered guide or class A assistant to conduct a sheep hunt for August 10 - 18, 2013
    Compensation: $1800
    This is a part-time job.
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Please, no phone calls about this job!
    Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

LOL.. gotta love craigslist!

So.....what's the big deal? CL lists quite a few guiding jobs - both hunting & fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    So.....what's the big deal? CL lists quite a few guiding jobs - both hunting & fishing.
    You don't think $1800 for a 8 day guided sheep hunt is a little low that less than $10/hr.

$1800 is about right, The guide will probably double that with a tip. Normal guiding wage if you ask me!

Well, I started working you worked for Free as a Packer, Back then you just needed a note from a guide saying you were a competent outdoors-man. Then I made $50.00 a day working 24 hours a day. So that was $2.00 an hour.

But I got to travel for free all over Alaska and learn a lot of skills.....And for that I would have given all my money and everything I owned in the world. The truth is I would have worked as a slave in the off season and give all my off season earning to have the awesome Alaska experiences I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    You don't think $1800 for a 8 day guided sheep hunt is a little low that less than $10/hr.
    Depends - a little low for a full guide - maybe. it comes out to $200/day. yeah its less than $10/hr, but I don't know any guides that figure their wages by the hour (if they did, there would be a HUGE shortage of guides) - they all figure by the day. I would be willing to bet that there are a LOT of assistant guides making less & probably a lot of registered guides making the same. It also depends on whether a guide is booked for the days specified. there may be room for negotiation, also.
    I think the ad is reasonable.

200 a day is not far off the average for a non contract signing guide... Some get more some get less..

And the fact is that's usually by the hunt.........meaning, that if it only takes you a couple days for your hunter to score an animal and get back to town, then you still get paid the full price, weather it's 2-3 days or 8......

At least that's how it was for me......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Maybe this is a silly question but i know everyone out there that isnt a guide is asking themselves. So why does a guided sheep hunt cost $15k if it only costs $200 per day?

That's why I thought it was interesting... guess I don't know enough about guiding wages... and that they get advertised on craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Maybe this is a silly question but i know everyone out there that isnt a guide is asking themselves. So why does a guided sheep hunt cost $15k if it only costs $200 per day?

Lot goes into the hunt and price sounds about right for asst guide...bottom line and to answer the question...logistics plays a huge part, food, and a few other things.

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Called overhead...
    Liability insurance...
    Plane costs...
    Food...
    Advertising costs...
    License costs...
    Ect....
    Some have more then others...
    Why does it cost so much to build a house when a framer only gets 15$ per hour... Just sayin..

So lets say that most any hunt in AK requires the same overhead. Why do guided caribou hunts cost 1/3 of a sheep hunt? Why do "drop" hunts cost so little? They have all the overhead of a real guided hunt don't they? Minus the obvious guide, rented camp gear and gourmet camp food. That must be some good food!

The biggest overhead we all forget, is they don't work 6+ months out of the year, so they have to scratch it all out during the season. Good work if you can get it IMO. Luckily they have a welfare law on the books to protect their livelihood.

It just goes to show you how people think that guides make a ton of money guideing. I knew several guides in Ak that were registered and still never did hunts on there own because of all the overhead[ insurance,gear, transportation,addvertising,ect. Some always just worked for outtfitters most of there lifes. I thought I might get rich too but didnt wok out, Ron.

I think its more doable than you think if you figure several hunts a Fall. Then a lot of the costs are spread out. Four hunts would be 56000 then pay the assistants 7200 to guide the hunt= 48800 for wage and expenses. Then if you can add some Spring bear hunts and which also spreads out the costs (gear and insurance). If guides were so poor there wouldnt literally be hundreds advertizing on the internet. I think that ad is way low. Packers used to get 100 a day 20 years ago...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well, I started working you worked for Free as a Packer, Back then you just needed a note from a guide saying you were a competent outdoors-man. Then I made $50.00 a day working 24 hours a day. So that was $2.00 an hour.

But I got to travel for free all over Alaska and learn a lot of skills.....And for that I would have given all my money and everything I owned in the world. The truth is I would have worked as a slave in the off season and give all my off season earning to have the awesome Alaska experiences I did.
    yep...same story with many of the asst. guides i know. when i started i figured my check up at the end of packing a sheep and moose season to right under $30 per day. i'da GIVEN a whole lot more than that to get the experience if i wouldve had to. ten years later i'm still just an asst, and making a daily rate. it's a good one relatively speaking...but i've earned it. i'll remain an asst for quite a while. in the beginning for me it was about finding a way to be out on the land "in pursuit, and hunting" as much as humanly possible, and find a way to make a living (however modest) doing so....ten years later its about that exact same dream.

most serious asst. guides have another trade that pays better than guiding...and most good ones are also a fair hand at that other trade also. it aint about the money for us...never has been.

. Packers used to get 100 a day 20 years ago...[/QUOTE]

Well, back in 1975 as a new arrival to Alaska and wanting to Sheep hunt so bad, I paid an outfitter thousands and promised to work 30 days packing, cooking, splitting wood etc.etc. Then, I also agreed to work another 30 days for the priveledge of shooting a Moose. No regrets, I learned an awful lot, got both a Sheep and a Moose. and the following year the outfitter signed me off as an assistant guide and hired me for $100.00 a day. Of course I didn't get paid until he started receiving deposits the next spring but that didn't bother me much. You see, when you guide, it's because you love to hunt and be out there. Good memories.

The only thing stands out to me here with the CL ad is, assuming it's coming from the master/registered guide who has already contracted the sheep hunt, how do they get a client to book such an expensive and in many cases once-in-a-lifetime hunt not knowing who their guide is, his or her background and rep? I know there is some turnover with guides, but you go to most of the prominent guide websites and they list all their guides, give background, offer letters of recommendation and all that. I just don't know what it says about this particular guide's business that he is booking hunts and then seeking a qualified guide to guide them. Maybe that is more normal than I thought. But I hope not.

Guide/ass guide may not have been able to come back this year after the hunt had already been booked? Never know.

I know that when I knew I was done I told the guys at the end of my last hunt the year before. But I'm sure some guys won't give little or any notice at all....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast