Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRS Clearwater Drifter inflatable drift boat?

Question NRS Clearwater Drifter inflatable drift boat?

Now, that we've all seen it at the GASS, what do you think of it?

IMG00094-20130328-1655.jpg
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I liked it made a lot sense for up here. But would have to row it to see how it handles and holds. Had a lot of trip hazards and did not have storage like a typical
    drift boat.

It's an interesting idea for sure. As kk said, all of that frame going back and forth would be a definite problem. Also seems like a function of a rubber drift would be to handle rocks better - but there still inst much tube between the outer wall and the frame, so you still would have to keep it in very reasonable water.

If you could find a way to get the frame a little more efficient it looks like it would make a good hunter. - Not in a plane though... 330#... whew. That's a chunk of boat right there!

I think a standard drift with a good solid hull would be a better choice in regards to this design.

I will be taking this boat out this weekend or next for its first Alaskan row down the upper kenai. Like any thing new there will be nay sayers and yay sayers alike. So start making a list of questions and post them and I will try my best to get them answered.

How it rows is my big question, love the application of the drop stitch material, realize that its hard to beat a conventional drift boat for fish ability.
    Being able to store a boat in a shed in the winter is huge up here and no trailer if you wanted to disassemble and assemble.

Well we have a date for the first run.....Saturday April 13th. From kenai lake to jims. going to make a full day out of it and try to stir up some bows and varden.

All flowing waters of of the upper kenai river drainage including the river are closed until the 11th of June. Make sure you read the regs.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

And I am not kidding around - do not mess with peninsula fish and game. They will take your fancy new boat if you get caught fishing out of it. If you plan to make the run to test your raft DO NOT bring any fishing gear with you.

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    All flowing waters of of the upper kenai river drainage including the river are closed until the 11th of June. Make sure you read the regs.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

And I am not kidding around - do not mess with peninsula fish and game. They will take your fancy new boat if you get caught fishing out of it. If you plan to make the run to test your raft DO NOT bring any fishing gear with you.
    Well you posted the regs now maybe you should read them. There is nothing wrong with floating and fishing on the upper on April 13th. Rainbow is closed may 1 - June 11

I'll be ****ed. Guess we never really did much spring bow fishin on the kenai. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    I'll be ****ed. Guess we never really did much spring bow fishin on the kenai. My bad.
    No worries.... Trust me.... About 65% percent of my annuall reading is deciphering hunting and fishing regs. And like you said its not to be taking lightly. The hardest part about this trip will be getting enough footage between two gopros to put together a good rendition of what it's capable of.

Too bad it's on the weekend... I just got a good deal on some 12' maxxon's I'm gonna throw under my 1" aluminum creek company frame to test out soon. Should be a scooter!

If you see a guy asking you if carlisle 1' oar extension for their 1 7/8" oars will fit creek company 1 7/8" oar shafts tomorrow, that's me.

trip got bumped to sunday but its still on!

Default clearwater drift boat

alright guys..... Its assembled and on the trailer ready to go! I might add that it took me less than an hour to fully assemble it from a pile of parts. I thought it was easier than putting together a cat frame for sure. It will be available for viewing today and Saturday and will be on the river Sunday and available to view again Monday on.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    How it rows is my big question, love the application of the drop stitch material, realize that its hard to beat a conventional drift boat for fish ability.
    Being able to store a boat in a shed in the winter is huge up here and no trailer if you wanted to disassemble and assemble.

Well after rowing the Clearwater drift boat from the bridge down to Jim's we learned a lot. First off we started the day in single digit temps and about a 15 mph wind. It was cold. From the launch we easily rowed up under the bridge all the way to the ice on the lake and started fishing from there. The wind blew us around a little bit right below the bridge in the still water....I noted that the boat doesn't have a hard chine like a real drift boat allowed the wind to move us around a touch more than a alum boat. But honestly thought the boat slipped water better than a hard boat.... I know that's hard to believe but that's how it went down. Water was super low and real boney. Every time we hung our gear on the bottom we were able to back row up above the snag and retrieve every fly(except Phill broke off a willy Nelson). The stretches leading up to sportsmans were the shallowest part of the trip. A alum. Boat would have played hell getting through there. But because we draft so little in this boat and some strategic river reading and line picking I only had to stick one leg out once for a good kick to slide through. Shot the princess rapids beautifully. Spotted a 50# anchor in the shallows and was able to back row to it and drop our anchor step out and retrieve said anchor. Saw a fair amount of people shore fishing I'm sure due to the beautiful sun was out in full force(I have a nice burn going on in the head neck face region). Only picked a few fish out that sunday with the biggest being 24" rainbow trout with awesome spotting and nice coloring throughout. Didn't shoot any footage due to I was too cold to be goofing around with cameras and bare hands. At the end of the day the three of us picked up the boat and set it on the trailer strapped her down and headed home.
    also I will mention we rowed the first half of the day with 9'6" counter balanced lami sticks and the second half I put on 1' extensions to make them 10'6" it was the right move. Before I felt like I was rowing a little steep of an angle but the extensions fixed that problem. I will post some pics of the boat in action along with a pic of the boat and fish that proved the NRS Clearwater drifter's Alaskan debut.

I also disassembled the boat and palletized it to get shipped to Fairbanks and I will reassemble it at the Carlson center for the sports show this upcoming weekend. My question is there any flowing water up there now and should I bring my wader bag and rod tube?

Thanks for the review did it track straight with little oar correction? I kind of thought it would row well. Should have been a lot warmer than a
    aluminum drift boat and quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Thanks for the review did it track straight with little oar correction? I kind of thought it would row well. Should have been a lot warmer than a
    aluminum drift boat and quiet?
    The only time we had tracking issues is when the wind was blowing up river and its a common issue with all drift boats. And yes shes a sleeper sneaker on the water as far as warmth goes we were cold. Once you get under about 15 degrees it doesn't matter what the boats made out of its plain cold but certainly will be warmer than a aluminum boat.

Yet some of those aluminum boats are running heaters and pizza ovens to help with the cold.

Floated w/ mrgsholly this past weekend. This boat is legit. Fairly light @ 330#, rigid, stable (use some caution when standing of course), and maneuverable. It is quiet, and slides over rocks easily. It trailered and fished well. A great platform and option for float fishing! I'm looking at them really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Yet some of those aluminum boats are running heaters and pizza ovens to help with the cold.
    Yummmmm. The thought of a warm pizza on the river in November would be priceless. On a side note.... if I saw a guy selling pizzas on the river I would buy one every time I drifted by said boat. Just in case someone does this I like peperoni and mushrooms! Ill be keeping an eye out! and no reason you cannot run a heater in the Clearwater too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast