Thread: how shallow cani go

Smile how shallow cani go

I got a 25 wooldridge jetboat with a 460 ford, a kicker, an anchor, and 100 gal fuel capacity. How shallow can I go with this boat? Empty or loaded with say 900lbs. It has 6' beam and 12 degree deadrise.

You can go shallow. You can go really shallow. You can drive it right up onto a sandbar! 25' and a 460 guarantees you're either going big, or stopping big. At that moment you'll sincerely wish you had a much smaller boat or much deeper water.

Default a foot....

I don't think I'd go shallower than 12" if possible. Make sure you have a VERY good anchor and a good come a long. Between the weight of the boat and the dead rise, you won't be running any 6" water. You might even consider a decent (3-4,000#) winch mounted in the bow, a good length of heavy rope, and a block to double the rope if you plan on risking the shallow water running.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Once You Do Get It Stuck...

then you will know the limitations and you will be a whole bunch smarter. Take along some extraction tools and helpers. SeaULater
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default something to buy

Buy a used cargo parachute; you'll be glad you have it when you do get stuck.

Default shallow

thanks for the advice. Was just wondering what to expect Ill be running the taku river a few miles south of juneau. I KNOW A GUY WITH A 22 JETLINE with a 460 and go,in 6" of water

Default Tiil ya here a thump

then go back 1 bend, 24 foot grayling, went anywhere there was water and here it comes BUT you need to turn around and 1 foot+ is nice.

Tarp tied at corners or parachute a must.

Good Luck

Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man
    thanks for the advice. Was just wondering what to expect Ill be running the taku river a few miles south of juneau. I KNOW A GUY WITH A 22 JETLINE with a 460 and go,in 6" of water
    I had a 22ft Jetline and let me tell you they will run shallow. But the hull is different than the wooldrige. The center of the hull on the jetline is flat about 12-14 inches wide the whole length of the hull. When you run her on step going straight you can literaly feel it balancing on that part of the hull. Jetline claims they will run in 4inches. I don't think the wooldrge will do that but if you know how to load it and drive it and don't have a full heavy load there is no reason why it cannot run in 6. If it takes 12 then you may as well get an outboard with a prop!

And remember, when on doubt throttle out!! have fun!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

PS

Bushrat mentioned a parachute. I still have my parachute if someone wants to buy it. Make me an offer.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but what does the parachutte do for you?

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    I don't know if this is a dumb question, but what does the parachutte do for you?
    When you're high and dry you tie it off to your boat and throw it into the river an it pulls you off the bar.

Oh ok, I though it was something along those lines. I got a 8500 pound cabin cruiser stuck in about 4 inches of water once. It dug itself in an 18 inch trench. That obviously wasn't in a river, so a parachutte wouldn't have helped. About 8 grown men pushing did the trick though.

Getting stuck on a submerged sandbar when you cut a corner is one thing. Taking a side channel that trickles into nothing is much different. Doing so while heading downstream really sucks. Now your only way out is to go against the current, after you spin that high-and-dry boat around 180 degrees. How far are you comfortable straying from water that's adequate to float your boat?

I helped a friend get his Alumaweld off a sandbar once. We had to empty the boat of a big load of sheetrock and framing lumber. The nearest dry spot was a couple of hundred feet away through ankle deep water running on soft sand. No fun. After we unloaded, we pushed the boat off (hard work), and then had to reload the freight to the boat which was now even further away and in deeper water. If that's your idea of fun, get in the habit of running really shallow, and you'll have some fun soon enough.

Default Chain saw winch

After using a chain saw winch i went and bought one my self. Pulled a 21' Boice over through mud and over some dry ground without a problem. First use the chain saw to cut some logs as rollers then use the winch. Mine has a capstan head that makes it very handy because you never have to reset you rigging system.