Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Bill of Sale?

Default Firearm Bill of Sale?

Does anyone have suggestions for a good "Bill of Sale" to use when selling a firearm? I am looking to sell my "assault weapon"...duh duh dumm.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know what an "assault weapon" is, but if you want to sell your personal defense weapon , any generic bill of sale will work. I use a car one, enter serial number into VIN line.

Print and use if you'd like.

Here's a couple that a quick search found

Bill of Sale
    Transfer of Ownership

For $______ received, I, _____________________, have sold to ______________ a
    _______________________, Serial # _____________

I represent that this ___________ is not stolen. I am the owner of the _______ listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this _______ was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the _______ and all accessories listed above.

Sold as is.
    No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
    Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
    Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the ___________.
    Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the ________.
    Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this ________ and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said _________.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer: Name Here
    Seller: Name Here

Date:_________________________

Buyer: _____________________________
    Address:____________________________
    Phone #: ____________________________
    Seller: ______________________________
    Address: ____________________________

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions for a good "Bill of Sale" to use when selling a firearm? I am looking to sell my "assault weapon"...duh duh dumm.

Thanks for your help.
    All class three, full auto rifles must be transferred on an ATF form. You cannot transfer any such weapon without the ATF involvement unless you like Leavenworth KS.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Print and use if you'd like.

Bill of Sale
    Transfer of Ownership

For $______ received, I, _____________________, have sold to ______________ a
    _______________________, Serial # _____________

I represent that this ___________ is not stolen. I am the owner of the _______ listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this _______ was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the _______ and all accessories listed above.

Sold as is.
    No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
    Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
    Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the ___________.
    Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the ________.
    Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this ________ and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said _________.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer: Name Here
    Seller: Name Here

Date:_________________________

Buyer: _____________________________
    Address:____________________________
    Seller: ______________________________
    Address: ____________________________
    I know of no gun owner who would enter into such a transaction with that B.o.S. I would be compelled to notify my friends at the ATF.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I know of no gun owner who would enter into such a transaction with that B.o.S. I would be compelled to notify my friends at the ATF.
    Well, luckily I ain't dealing with you, am I?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Well, luckily I ain't dealing with you, am I?
    I would agree with Murphy. I have sold lots of firearms, and a simple "on this day (date), I sell this firearm (serial number and description), as-is to (name of buyer), for the amount of (dollars)." Pretty much so they can't come back and say I stole it.

I do have to say you covered just about every contingency though. You a lawyer?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post

I do have to say you covered just about every contingency though. You a lawyer?
    Hey now, no need for name calling.....

-grin-

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    All class three, full auto rifles must be transferred on an ATF form. You cannot transfer any such weapon without the ATF involvement unless you like Leavenworth KS.
    It is not a full-auto. I placed " " around assault weapon as that is what our lib friends would call my Mini 14.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I must say the simple version sounds good. Covers you and doesn't cause unnecessary paranoia for the buyer.

Thanks again.

Unless its stamped with the seal of approval, it can be contested in court. Notarise all transactions if you want to keep your ass in the clear.

You don't need a bill of sale to sell your properly purchased and owned firearm in the state of Alaska. Gun dealers who hold a Federal Firearms License have federal paperwork to complete and hold on to, but you as a private seller aren't required to do the same. Look at their driver's license to make sure they're 18+ and a resident of Alaska and make your sale. Felons aren't allowed to own guns so they probably won't be answering your ad or going to the gun show where you're selling. The buyer gives you the agreed upon price and you give them your rifle. Dealers don't write and provide bills of sale when they sell guns so why should you? They give you a receipt and your firearm.

................I have sold lots of firearms, and a simple "on this day (date), I sell this firearm (serial number and description), as-is to (name of buyer), for the amount of (dollars)."............. Well the amount is also not important.

................Pretty much so they can't come back and say I stole it.................Ah think about that. This receipt shows that you took money from me. it does not prove YOU did not steal the gun. Sure covers me the buyer real well though.

Really if someone is paranoid that they need to see my D/L they can keep the firearm. I am at more risk than they are and I am not asking for all that BS.

What do you get or need with a bill of sale?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Hand me my cash, I'll hand you the gun. End of subject. I've sold probably 50 guns in the last 20 years and I haven't wasted my time with a bill of sale once. Hell, when I buy my guns from my FFL dealer friend I don't even get a receipt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

That BoS might be needed by law in Commiefornia but it's not here. Don't bring your rules and try to make us follow them.

Well boys keeping records of my guns all my life including BOS on everything made me almost $20,000 when my house got robbed because I could prove I owned them. Without proof they would have paid $1500. What ya got agin some scribbles on a napkin anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike1 View Post
    That BoS might be needed by law in Commiefornia but it's not here. Don't bring your rules and try to make us follow them.
    News flash. I'm FROM here. Yourself?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Hey now, no need for name calling.....

-grin-
    That's such a good comeback.

Sometimes, you crack me up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have no intention of selling any of my guns. That being said If I was going to I like the Bill of sale options Hippie posted.
    We live in a sue happy world nowdays. One of those should cover your arse.
    It would not suprise me one bit to see a felon trying to purchase a firearm off of craigslist. That would be the only way they might get away with it.
    If the buyer refused to sign a bill of sale that would be somebody I would suspect of something fishy.
    Just my thoughts
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I see no purpose for a bill of sale when transferring a gun to anyone. It doesn't protect you the seller from anything, a buyer might want one because of fears he could walk out with it and you, the seller could claim he stole it if no B/S. Otherwise if the guy is a felon and the seller has a nice B/S to say it was legally sold, guess what, the law now has prima facia evidence that you in fact did transfer a gun to a felon. Otherwise, you could have grounds to claim he stole it, or at least plausible deniability but if he is a felon, and you transfer a gun to him even though he claims to be a saint, you, the seller are in a heap of doo-doo. Of course in Alaska this only applies when a handgun is transferred to a felon. But most state laws do not give consideration to the clause known to be a felon, as seems to be the case with Alaska. These is a state requirement to sshuffle gun transfers through official state channels but non of these accept an improvised B/S, all must use official state forms. So a B/S for the seller is noting but paper and maybe a false peace of mind about it.

To buy sell or trade any class III gun or assault rifle, which by definition is selective fire, meaning full auto capable, it must be done on an ATF form and the ATF will let you know if you can buy or sell it. And the Bill of Sale has a $200 fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast