Thread: What is your favorite ammo-Kimber Montana

Default What is your favorite ammo-Kimber Montana

I'm getting ready to sight in my new (to me) 308 Kimber Montana 84M, and am wondering what your favorite OTC ammo is for this rifle. I won't start reloading for this rifle till next year but want to start with something now.

thanks

If youre talking about target ammunition, I think that the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with the 175 gr SMK's is pretty darn good ammo. I bought some a couple of weeks ago at $26 a box which is cheaper than I've seen any for sale, actually the only I've seen for sale..

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    If youre talking about target ammunition, I think that the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with the 175 gr SMK's is pretty darn good ammo. I bought some a couple of weeks ago at $26 a box which is cheaper than I've seen any for sale, actually the only I've seen for sale..
    It's going on a sheep hunt this fall but maybe the Federal would be fine. Thanks

I wouldnt hunt with the matchking ammo, but it would be ideal (I think) for seeing what that Kimber is capable of with good quality target loads..

My Tikka in 308 will shoot it at right about 100 yd moa...

Thanks......

I have a Kimber Montana in 308 and was given five boxes of Federal Fusion 180 gr and so I decided to give them a try and they shot great and are inexpensive for factory ammo (brass). I primarily have switched over to Accubonds for most of my guns as they seem to shoot well in all my guns and I have experienced great performance on critters. That said I have shot four caribou, probably a dozen deer and a goat with the fusion and the fusions have performed beautifully. So good that I still have a 2.5 boxes left usually just a few rounds to make sure my gun is on each year and then let the bullets do their job. Best of luck. Greg

Thanks Greg.

Every rifle is slightly different so can't say it'll shoot good in your Kimber, but mine lights the Nosler Custom 165 Accubonds pretty well. But it hasn't ever hot anything from Fed Premium Bearclaws, Rem Corelokts, and even some el cheapo FMJs poorly. It doesn't seem to be too picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Every rifle is slightly different so can't say it'll shoot good in your Kimber, but mine lights the Nosler Custom 165 Accubonds pretty well. But it hasn't ever hot anything from Fed Premium Bearclaws, Rem Corelokts, and even some el cheapo FMJs poorly. It doesn't seem to be too picky.
    My son's Kimber also likes the Nosler Accubonds, sadly Ktn. is that high tech. Thanks Luke, good info.