Thread: Favorite rain gear?

Default Favorite rain gear?

What rain gear do you take on your float hunt? Everything I own is lightweight and saturates after a few hours. So I'm looking for something with staying power that won't break the bank.

Four of us did our float hunt in 2010 and we all used Helly Hansen Impertech and we stayed dry.

carhart rubber 40$ a piece here in iowa. Its a knockoff of the helley hanson commercial gear. ive used it on 3 hunts in ak

HH impertech is the only way to go IMHO. Totally waterproof, but stretches and allows you to move.

I've tried all kinds of gortex and gortex knockoffs. Anything "breathable" isn't waterproof. End of story. Sitting in the wind and rain all day will show you that real quick. Now if you are hiking that lower weight stuff has its merits, that is true. But in a raft for days... gotta be rubber.

Thanks for the help.

I'll be doing a float this Sept, lots of advice from guys that spent top $$ for high end camo/raingear. I'd rather go with what Alaska guys say works and thats Helly Hansen stuff...maybe not "breathable" but will keep me dry in the rain.

Like others said I'll vote for the helly Hansen impertech I have three years on mine and couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

On a float hunt I take both types of rain gear. I have some light weight breathable stuff that packs into a bag the size of your fist. This is great if your hunting early in the season and moving around. Also even if it is not raining it is nice to have something to keep the dew off. If it is nasty i.e. the last two years. Go with the HH Impertech. I am assuming that on your float hunt you will be hunting moose and maybe bou? I float hunt with Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots. I take a pair of HH Impertech bibs and cut them off at the knee. and put them over the boots while rowing in the rain (prevents a wet fourth point of contact from the raft seat). Then take them off if I want to move around and glass.

Take the HH, but a breathable upper shell doesn't weigh much and is nice to have for packing and moving around in. The 8-10 oz won't break the weight allowance on a float trip either.

Chest waders are great for fishing but for hunting they tend to be to hot for me. They are definitely an option and one that some fellows prefer. What ever you decide buy it this spring and try it out see what works for you.

I like the Impertech cause it's light and stretchy, but once that lining gets wet (and it will), it gets cold and clammy and heavy, and takes forever to dry out. In really wet conditions, it's hard to beat good ol' PVC. Anybody tried Carhartt's stuff? Saw an ad for it in the Bushmailer, never tried it....love their work clothes, obviously, wonder how the rain gear does.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I have an old pair of the Cabelas PVC bibs and I think they're pretty comparable to the HH ones. Not the most comfortable things in the world but they keep me dry, take a beating, and have yet to spring a leak.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I don't like rain gear. I only hunt when it is not raining outside.

I carry both as well,

I muchly prefer to have my Simms wading jacket on when hunting unless I am somehow reassured it won't be raining or I won't have to walk through wet foilage (unlikely)....and usually hunt in my breathable waders.

BUT, I always have a HH or guy cotton top and bottoms as well. THey work great for open skiff rides when the splash is all over you even though not raining, AND it keeps your butt dry when sitting on a wet cushion.....unlike any kind of breathable pants. For the top get the ones with the neoprene cuff inside, it's really nice for keeping water from running down your arm....very nice indeed.

It's unlikely that a goretex raingear alone will keep you dry on any long trip with the weather you encounter in much of the state. You are either in a 6 day mist in South East (goretex fail) or absolute gully washers in Bristol Bay that will pour through Goretex after an hour, leaving you scrambling for your rubber suit and attempting to dry out during the next sucker hole.

Does anybody have experience with HH Impertech II? Is it as reliable as HH Impertech?

Quote Originally Posted by elksnout View Post
    I'll be doing a float this Sept, lots of advice from guys that spent top $$ for high end camo/raingear. I'd rather go with what Alaska guys say works and thats Helly Hansen stuff...maybe not "breathable" but will keep me dry in the rain.
    I know rain gear has come a LONG way.. but every time I try some new age rain gear that is supposed to breathe, and be light... after a couple hard days of rain.. and poor drying conditions at night.. it is wet wet wet, and heavy as Hell. even cheap 25 dollar pvc out performs it.. dries easily, and keeps me dry..

I use both types. I am happy with my kuiu gear for backpacking but for lower impact stuff like rafting or fishing all day in the rain I reach for the impertech.

When they make rain gear I cant put holes in then I will have my favorite!