Thread: Prop/jet conversion

Question Prop/jet conversion

I have a 16' Hewescraft Sea Runner with a 35 hp prop and would like to put a 50 hp jet on it to cruise the Deska, Little Su, etc...and would like to be able to re-install the lower unit with the prop to cruise Lk Louise/Skilak/PWS.

What do I have to do to the boat/transom to be able to switch between a jet/prop to run it in salt or lakes? Do I just simply need to remove the jet and install the prop and head out? Seems like the prop wouldn't be down in the water enough with a short shaft. Do I need some sort of manual or hydraulic lift?

Thanks for the insight,
    Tim

There are a couple of differant ways to do it. You can either get a shaft extension, I beleive they are made by outboard jets. Or you can get a lift plate.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

flat jack lift
    Bob's boat Shop in Florida,

only lift that give you the full 7 inches you need to run your jet or you prop

Lots of guys around here run CMC lifts too. I don't know what there range is, but I know it is enough.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford