Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger m77 Hawkeye trigger: What to do?

Default Ruger m77 Hawkeye trigger: What to do?

Hi,

I have an all weather m77 hawkeye in .338 win mag. I like the Ruger three stage safety, but I really don't like the trigger. It is very heavy and takes a very long time to squeeze and isn't that smooth.

So, I have come up with two options. 1) Replace the trigger with a Spec-Tech (http://spec-tech-industries.com/) trigger. Or, 2) Have a gunsmith work on the trigger to lighten it and make it smoother.

Does anyone have experience with Spec-Tech? It appeals the most because of being adjustable and my lack of opinion on trigger pull weight.

Any reccomendations for a trigger job in Fairbanks?

I would not alter the factory trigger, but would replace it with an aftermarket of your choice.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

M77 factory triggers shouldn’t really be lightened, the creep can usually be cleaned up to a not bad field trigger that seems a little lighter. But if you want lighter you need a trigger that is adjustable but still has a good positive sear engagement, you’ll want a replacement.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will go for an aftermarket trigger, but sill am skeptical about the adjustable aspect of the trigger failing at some point. There appeared to be some incompatibility with some after market triggers and the m77 safety, but Spec-Tech has m77 specific designs.

I've installed probably a couple dozen Timney's in MKII M-77's without a problem.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I've installed the Timney in my Hawkeye, they're local to my home town. They work fine but I had a little problem with it when adjusted down to 2 pounds which is my desired weight.

I later switched to a Rifle Basix, I really like this trigger. It's a drop in fit and adjustable without needing to remove the stock. The safety adjustment is via a cam screw during installation, no file to fit required. I've not had a single negative issue with this design.

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...roducts_id=205

Oh boy options. Gunbugs- Have you had any experience with Timney in the lower end of their operation?

My rifle plus scope is 8.45 lbs (+all the bullets I leave on the stock). I'd like to initially have the ability to set the pull weight to about 1/3 of that (2.8-3) lbs. 2.4 in the Rifle Basix is close to 2.8, but out of a hunting rifle I don't want it getting too light.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Segi View Post
    Oh boy options. Gunbugs- Have you had any experience with Timney in the lower end of their operation?

My rifle plus scope is 8.45 lbs (+all the bullets I leave on the stock). I'd like to initially have the ability to set the pull weight to about 1/3 of that (2.8-3) lbs. 2.4 in the Rifle Basix is close to 2.8, but out of a hunting rifle I don't want it getting too light.
    i have had all my M77 done local here factory triggers reduced and have not had any issues.. this is hte first time i have ever heard to NOT reduce a factory trigger.. if you would like take a peek at a couple.. id meet up with ya and let you feel them.. and who did them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince.
    Thanks for the offer. I think will go for an aftermarket trigger of some sort though.

Does anyone in Anchorage recommend a gunsmith that could do a trigger job on my hawkeye? Using one of the adjustable aftermarket triggers sounds nice but what about reliability and having screws move from shooting. The simple design seems like it could be a little more reliable in the field, not sure though.

I don't have a Hawkeye but do have the M77 MKII and went with a timney set at 2.5 lbs (down from 7 lbs on the factory trigger) Brought my groupings down from 3" at 100 yds down to 1", couldn't believe the difference. I have had this trigger now for 4 years and have never had any issues. I send all my rifles to Vince @ Precision Arms Inc and he does great work, but there are many others that I would trust as well, just my .02

I've heard good things about Rifle Basix in the Hawkeye, but I just used some valve grinding compound in mine, and worked it a lot. It is not great, but good enough for hunting. It didn't really lighten it, but it took some of the grittiness out of it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    Does anyone in Anchorage recommend a gunsmith that could do a trigger job on my hawkeye? Using one of the adjustable aftermarket triggers sounds nice but what about reliability and having screws move from shooting. The simple design seems like it could be a little more reliable in the field, not sure though.
    I will clean them up and make you a good field trigger but I won’t “lighten” the factory parts. It feels a lot lighter just by getting the creep and sandy feel out if it. Most guys can’t tell 2 pounds from 4 or even 5 as long as the pull is slick and brakes crisp.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've never had a trigger done, how much would you charge me to do hawkeye?

I thought my hawkeye trigger felt pretty good until this weekend when I shot a buddies gun and holy cow what a difference. I can shoot my rifle pretty good, but I could shoot his good a lot easier. If that makes any sense. I don't have a trigger weight pull gauge so I can't check mine or his but I need to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I've installed probably a couple dozen Timney's in MKII M-77's without a problem.
    Timney's rock on a hunting rig!

why is it recommended to not work on a factory trigger?? Every ruger 77 I ever owned......got one coil cut off the trigger spring, polished, and creep removed.

You'll usually end up with 2.5-3 lbs pull with zero creep.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    why is it recommended to not work on a factory trigger?? Every ruger 77 I ever owned......got one coil cut off the trigger spring, polished, and creep removed.

You'll usually end up with 2.5-3 lbs pull with zero creep.
    It may be, that the hawkeye triggers/newer triggers are different than the older ones, and can't be adjusted, or as easily.

????

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I won’t nip the spring or put in the lighter springs from places like Wolf because when I have the MKIIs and Hawkeyes fire every time from a light rap under the tang. On top of that it’s very hard to make them contestant when lightened, they pull like 2lbs, 2lbs, 2lbs, 3.5lbs, 1.5, then back to 2 for a bit. Drive ya nuz trying to get consistent pulls to repeat on the scale!

There are a lot of good aftermarket triggers for them that can adjust down safely and be consistent . . . If you want a light trigger, by the time you pay for a good trigger job you could buy a trigger and have a better deal all around.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Joining this discussion late but wanted to add my 2 cents worth. My Ruger 77 MK2 had a really terrible trigger when I bought it new. I did some "shade tree smithin" on it myself, cut coils at 1/2 per snip, tried to smooth it up all to no avail. I ended up with an unsafe trigger, most definitely due to my inabilities. Long story short, bought the Timney and installed it myself. Only took some judicious filing on the safety if I remember right (been several years ago). I ended up with a very good trigger that breaks at about a tad under 3 pounds as best as my cheapo RCBS pull guage measures. It is actually a little lighter than I prefer on a 338, but have never gotten around to adjusting it up a little. Never have had a problem with bump fires, firing when closing bolt, or firing with light raps to butt of weapon. Seems to be a very good trigger IMHO. I recently picked up a Ruger GSR. Not sure if it is the same trigger as the Hawkeye, but I suspect it is. This rifle has a really good factory trigger. It has zero creep or grittiness and feels about perfect. Just measured it tonight out of curiosity after reading this thread. It breaks right at 4 pounds, but feels much lighter! I'm thinking it is about perfect for the type/scope of rifle it is on and no plans to change it. Seems funny how rifles from same manufacturer can come off the assembly line with vastly different trigger quality??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast