Thread: How does Rhubarb do up here?

Default How does Rhubarb do up here?

-Anyone have any pics of rhubarb plants in AK? Do they do good up here?

-On the KP how much do you need to do to the soil to make them grow? Don't have much topsoil and is mostly cranberry plants.

-Where is a good place to purchase plant starts and seeds? Didn't get the chance to start any rhubarb or other plants...

Thanks! ESF

My rhubarb plant was given to me by my mother in law who brought it up from southeast AK. It grew to be pretty huge and I actually had to cut it back. It's in the semi shady portion of my yard and ill only water if there's a dry spell. Otherwise it grew just fine.

Rhubarb will grow like a weed up here. Ask around your area, your bound to find someone with a bunch of plants willing to share a root-ball or two. Mine grow in the strawberry patch, almost like it was meant to be...pie!

Rhubarb can kinda get out of hand if you don't watch out, lol.

I am always amazed by the stuff. Would surprise me to find it growing in places up here right now... Seems to start early and grow quick

We rented a cabin in Peters Creek and there was a lot of rhubarb growing all along one side of the house. The caretaker said she cut it all down in the fall which we do not do in WI. It always came back.

Alaska Berries has rhubarb for sale this year, if you can't find any growing. They are located in soldotna and produce nice plants that transplant well.

Site: http://www.alaskaberries.com/store/plants/rhubarb

I have found rhubarb to do well on the Kenai Peninsula. Even distressed plants seem to recover here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    -Anyone have any pics of rhubarb plants in AK? Do they do good up here?

-On the KP how much do you need to do to the soil to make them grow? Don't have much topsoil and is mostly cranberry plants.

-Where is a good place to purchase plant starts and seeds? Didn't get the chance to start any rhubarb or other plants...

Thanks! ESF
    If you get a starter feed it some compost/manure, water it well, and it'll do great. Let it grow for one year before you start picking it.

Default hardy plant

I bulldozed about 5 giant plants years ago, and they turned into several little plants which were coming up everywhere, so I felt the need to replant a couple which usually get4- 5ft tall and several feet around. If you can't grow Rhubarb in AK. thats not good for other plant prospects.

I have actually considered building a guest house under the leaves of the Rhubarb that grows in my back yard. I could save money that way, because I wouldn't need a roof!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I have actually considered building a guest house under the leaves of the Rhubarb that grows in my back yard. I could save money that way, because I wouldn't need a roof!

Aside from Rhubarb pies, Rhubarb makes an excellent dry white wine.

You probably would'nt want to share that recipe would you? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    You probably would'nt want to share that recipe would you? lol.
    sent you a PM

We don't eat it and I run the 3 along the back of our house over with the riding mower fairly regularly and they still get huge if I leave them alone for any time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    If you can't grow Rhubarb in AK. thats not good for other plant prospects.
    Last spring I looked out in my front yard and growing up thru about 6 inches of snow were the 5-6 plants we have in our yard... The stuff grows anywhere you plant it and grow well. We don't water it, don't fertalize it and I run parts of it over with the lawn mower on a regular basis... no worries, plant some and it will grow.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson