Thread: Selling my Kingfisher & craigslist problems

Default Selling my Kingfisher & craigslist problems

Well I'm sad to say that I've decided to sell my Kingfisher 2525. As my wife and I get closer to retirement, we are stratigizing how we want to get there, and some of that would be a lot easier with more $$ equity in hand and more cash flow. I also have never been able to use it as much as I want because of being busy with many other things, plus, my back condition has also gotten worse. So, it's the smart decision to let her go even though I have put a lot of money and sweat equity into making her just right. Someone else can enjoy her!

Now the problem part. I'm listing her a few ways, but one of the ways I want to list her is on craigslist. I've never posted anything for sale on craigslist before, and unfortunately my add that put up Sat at 5:45pm was tagged for removal. I found out on Sunday when my wife wanted to read it and couldn't find it. Then I looked for it, couldn't find it with the search, used the shortcut I saved on my desktop, and had the next window say my ad was tagged for removal for one of a few reasons. I don't know why, and I sent craigslist a request to explain since I'm a newbie. Haven't heard a thing from them, and from what I've read in some Google searches.....I may not.

Any thoughts on any rules I may have broken inadvertently? I'd like to post it there, but don't want to waste my time if somebody is going to keep tagging it or removing it.

I've never posted anything for sale on this site either.....surprise, given that I've been around here for a few years. Any rules I should be careful of when posting boats for sale in the Swap n Sell Forum? No problem paying the $50 commission if this site get's me a buyer.

Thanks all for your ideas and help in making MISS ELLIE and great boat and me a better boat owner!
    Mike

I don't know why your add would have been removed from C-list ??? Sometimes people will flag an add that they don't like for no reasonable reason and it'll get yanked. Maybe somebody from PETA? I've used C-list to sell items a few times and hever had any problems.

You shouldn't have any problem listing it here, but you're not going to have as many people see the add as on C-list. You might also try alluminumalloyboats.com
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have had good luck with CL, pictures are as the say worth a thousand words......as Paul said sometimes people dont like they way something was stated or described or...?

And sometimes folks do post some pretty goofy ads and deserve a good flagging.
    You can post with just your phone number and delete the e-mail option...........Its a personal thing, sometimes it helps to cut down on all the looky-loos, I figure if they are serious, they will make the call..

Another time saver is to type your ad up on a word document and then copy and paste, it avoids having to type it over and over if you decide to post in Anchorage, SE and Kenai. Plus you can use spell check........

The biggest aggravation is folks posting the same ad day after day, if someone is looking for a boat and watching the ads then they are checking the ads quite often. Its not like people wake up one day and say hey lets buy a boat today......at least most people....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Careful how you post stuff on c-list. I always type out one of the numbers from each segment of my phone number to let people know its not an auto ad loader and to keep the scammers from calling etc. Make sure you have current pics(time stamp helps) and a local number helps but isnt necessary. Never put your email out there. You'll get tons of scammers. Don't forget about ak-list either.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks for the comments! I'll try posting her on CL again tonight and see if she can last more than a few hours this time.

Well get this. I tried again with your tips, and it got flagged again immediately. Crap! So I decided to dumb down the posting just in case someone still thought I was an auto post or something they didn't like. This post made it, but it took 5-10 minutes to show on CL with a search. So, I went back and tried the first one I did tonight, and now that one isn't flagged anymore! Geez, now someone at CL will probably think I'm trying to multiple post.

The longer listing hasn't shown up on CL yet. Time will tell what they do. I'm pretty computer savy, but they don't make this as easy as it could be.

It could be because you have an Etec hanging off the back.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You know you want to re-power and kick it up a notch.....don't ya!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post

You know you want to re-power and kick it up a notch.....don't ya!
    Ha! Just checked your ad out. She she shows well. Good luck with the sale.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thank you Spoiled One. Probably the toughest thing I've sold....as far as letting her go, but I know it's the right thing to do in the long run for my wife and I.

Thanks again.
    Mike

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Craigslist will usually remove an add if you include an URL in it. Did you link another web site to it?

I've had great luck selling big ticket items on CL. You just need to learn to ignore the people who claim they can't get away to meet you and want to send you payment via paypal. Don't even waste your time answering the trash because it is a scam.

Price it just a shade to high and people will bug you asking you what you will take for it, even though they never seen it. Ignorant tire kickers with no money who have no intention of buying anything. Price it right and be very upfront of the boats condition and it will sell. If I were you I would go ahead and get it appraised now because if anyone wants to finance it chances are their bank or CU will require it.

Craigslist is THE place to post stuff. Brokers have got to be getting nervous..

As far a flagging.. just repost. Somebody might have flagged it for some not so noble reasons.

Good luck with your sale. Sell it for the right price, and it'll go.

Well it looks like you got her posted on C-list again. Nice boat. I'm sure it will sell fast at that low price.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks nice, and she's the size we're looking for, but unfortunately, Momma wants a head running water and cooking facilities. Good luck - she ought to move quickly at that price.

I think CL calls "foul" if you list an item on several sites, so if your ad was identical in other locations, it probably got flagged for that. The URL (if included) would probably contribute to that. You may just want to change your ad on other sites that don't have the same restrictions.

Thanks again for the help. I put her up on both Anc and Kenai. First contact ended up revealing the exact situation that Snowwolfe described. He didn't reveal that until about three emails later this afternoon at 3pm. Flush!

That's ok. Two other interested parties waiting in the wings. So on to #2. Something some of you may not know is Kingfisher is a mfr of boat that's covered on NADA. I saw other Kingfishers on CL for a good bit more, but I know what the banks will auth w/o getting an appraisal. You guys hit it right in that I priced her to sell, and the tire kickers will be disappointed if they want to try and dicker around with me ridiculously. I think she's priced at a very fair price that will make someone happy on what they paid and what they get in the boat. I'll post on other sites if these last two parties don't pan out from today. Selling a boat at this time of year is a target rich environment.

p.s. I think someone at CL saw the problems I was having, because after I clicked on the user acknowledgement for the Kenai posting, instead of getting jumped to the listing, they jumped me to a page that said something like "Sorry for the problems CL has caused" or "Thanks for being patient with us". I don't remember, but the process was definitely different that the previous 4 or 5 times I posted (or tried to).

Craigslist doesn't flag anything, users flag the ads and it takes multiple flaggers to remove ads, BUT the caveat is everytime it is flagged off it becomes more brittle, takes less and less flaggers to remove it.

Some hints if it is removed again
    Picture pictures pictures.
    remember that Craigslist is a online garage sale, selling at full retail value is usually frowned upon by users (although your boat is well worth it)
    URL's do get them flagged off, and don't have one to a different sales site.
    Describe in detail without being too wordy, emails are for further describing.
    Don't use any type of counters they are not allowed.
    Don't use all caps anywhere, it annoys users.

The owners of Craigslist don't see ads and there is no staff reviewing ads for Alaska.

How do I know this?
    I was one of the Flag Help , Help Forum members for a few years.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

HK, you are more than Welcome to post it on www.aluminumalloyboats.com , for free. If you need help with pictures just let me know. I am "welder" there , Site Admin/owner.

Thank you Pacific23! Just got back from taking my wife on a vacation for her birthday, and I'm catching up.

Had a good amount of interest by those who said they were serious, but nobody has committed. So time to post her up again and expand the coverage now that I'll be home for a while.

Man, you guys are right about the scammers and trolls looking for a stupid deal!! Most are particularly easy to id though.