Thread: Juneau Fishing Report

Default Juneau Fishing Report

Any one in Juneau catching feeders?

Busted out my salmon gear for the first time this season. Put in 16 rod-hours on backside Douglas with nary a bite on Sunday through two tides changes. Mixed up plugs, spoons, herring, and hootchies.

Also, threw some dungie pots out and only picked up one. Plus a tanner. Guy pulling his pots next to me only got one as well. Should get better in the next couple weeks I'm hoping.

I got bit on my first trip in Jan. Caught a shaker on my second trip the next day, and have drowned herring for the last 6 trips.....so, about average for Juneau

Juneau? Fishing? Probably going to be another month before it's worth the gas.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Juneau? Fishing? Probably going to be another month before it's worth the gas.
    But it's still cheaper than a therapist!

I'll agree with you there.

Gas is a hidden cost, as being on the water is a luxury to most.... Trolled in the auke a few weeks back without a nudge. Heard of a couple caught though, location not specified.

I'm pretty sure they're picking those feeders up backside Douglas. Middlepoint or Horse/Colt areas. Heard of one picked up Cordwood last month. But I don't like running my skiff that far out this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're picking those feeders up backside Douglas. Middlepoint or Horse/Colt areas. Heard of one picked up Cordwood last month. But I don't like running my skiff that far out this time of year.
    And I'm pretty sure if they were, they won't be posting it on here There are likely a couple of them everywhere, gotta mow the lawn til you hit one, I have started bringing books to read.

New King regs for SE came out yesterday. Beginning April 8th for residents, one rod per person, one king 28" or over per day, one in possession.

Link to the new Emergency Order for the lazy HERE

Another strike against nonresident fishermen in SE. Perhaps I need to start looking at SC or other regions.

Quote Originally Posted by torpedo View Post
    Another strike against nonresident fishermen in SE. Perhaps I need to start looking at SC or other regions.
    Whatever----Residents went from 3 fish per day last year to 1!!! I'll leave at that.....

Quote Originally Posted by torpedo View Post
    It's important to understand how the abundance index works. There is simply a chart, and when king abundance is low, like it is, then you get certain limits for commercial, residents, and non-residents. Believe me, it's not a strike against non-residents, nor was intended to screw them in any way. Just be glad you aren't a commercal salmon troller. Those guys will have a 5 day opening in July for kings. That's it until maybe a 2 day opening in Aug. Try feeding your family on that, with the way coho prices are.

Even if the limits were 1 a day, for the entire season, you probably wouldn't be catching one anyways. It's going to be one of those years that separates the men from the boys, when it comes to finding king salmon in the saltwater. I personally welcome the challenge, but it won't be easy, and they'll come 1 at a time. Stick and stay, make it pay. Don't run.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that when the limits/abundance are this way, we tend to catch some hawg kings. Look to see some 60's and maybe a 70+ to hit the docks in SE AK.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    It's important to understand how the abundance index works. There is simply a chart, and when king abundance is low, like it is, then you get certain limits for commercial, residents, and non-residents. Believe me, it's not a strike against non-residents, nor was intended to screw them in any way. Just be glad you aren't a commercal salmon troller. Those guys will have a 5 day opening in July for kings. That's it until maybe a 2 day opening in Aug. Try feeding your family on that, with the way coho prices are.

Even if the limits were 1 a day, for the entire season, you probably wouldn't be catching one anyways. It's going to be one of those years that separates the men from the boys, when it comes to finding king salmon in the saltwater. I personally welcome the challenge, but it won't be easy, and they'll come 1 at a time. Stick and stay, make it pay. Don't run.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that when the limits/abundance are this way, we tend to catch some hawg kings. Look to see some 60's and maybe a 70+ to hit the docks in SE AK.
    True that, even last year one king per person was a pretty decent day in the Juneau area. I had many more days with one or less keepers per person than I did multiples.......it is going to suck when you happen upon a pod of em and you limit out that quick. My best multiple fish days last year all the fish were caught in an hour or so.

Lost one yesterday, got bit in the first fifteen minutes....lost it, then went back to reading for a few hours until I went home. I can play the averages

Remember fellas, one rod and one fish starts TODAY. I'm pretty new to Juneau so I'm curious how this reduction will affect fishing pressure.....I figure if it's a nice day out, folks will be fishing no matter what.

I guess the word is that several runs down in WA will be record runs.. but they'll be 3 y/o fish, and they don't think they'll be 28" when they pass through SE AK. So we got killed on our abundance index this year as those fish are what props up our numbers.

Speaking of 28", does anyone know why Southeast has this rule but Southcentral does not? What is the reasoning on this?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    It's going to be one of those years that separates the men from the boys, when it comes to finding king salmon in the saltwater. I personally welcome the challenge, but it won't be easy, and they'll come 1 at a time. Stick
    My money is on you! Tied up a bunch of 4/0's with 40# maxima during the March Madness tourney.

As soon as I took the tarp off the boat it started snowing again - par for the course.

Anyone have anything hopeful to report from Juneau? We put in about 20 rod hours in this weekend. Not even a bite. It was a beautiful calm day out today, but I didn't see any nets out from any of the other boats either. Didn't see or hear of anyone catching from False Outer either.

From reliable sources I heard of one King caught outside of red can at Pt. Stephens late last week and I heard of one King caught close to Salisbury below town on Saturday. Feed has been spotty on north end - some showing off and on from Sheep Creek south in Channel. The next big tides may push a few Kings into the area (let's hope).