Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 1/2 Pound Sheep Rifle

Default 7 1/2 Pound Sheep Rifle

How do you feel about this weight? Would you try to lighten the rifle? Two things I could do; 1. get another scope. The current scope I have is 15 oz. 2., Go with a sythetic stock. Current stock is wood and just over 2 lbs. I would need to go with a fairly expensive $400 price range stock to get appreciable weight savings. With a 7.5 lb rifle that shoots well (and metal is coated) would you keep as is or lighter up.

My light rifle is just over 7 pounds. Any lighter and the recoil will start to suck - its a short mag.

As you noted you will have to start spending money to shave ounces from where you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by DeskJockey View Post
    How do you feel about this weight? Would you try to lighten the rifle? Two things I could do; 1. get another scope. The current scope I have is 15 oz. 2., Go with a sythetic stock. Current stock is wood and just over 2 lbs. I would need to go with a fairly expensive $400 price range stock to get appreciable weight savings. With a 7.5 lb rifle that shoots well (and metal is coated) would you keep as is or lighter up.
    Much cheaper places to lighten your load than your rifle IMO. Just don't skimp on optics weight they are always worth the weight. That said I have a 325 WSM that is 5.8 pounds with rings and scope and a .308 that is 5.5 pounds with rings and scope and they are a joy to carry, but I have about $1400 into each rifle...so as you can see its not a cheap proposition.

Hunting with light rifles is about cutting weight where ever you can, pound or two off a rifle, pound or two off a tent, maybe a pound off a sleeping bag, a pound or two off a pack, some ozs here and some ozs there and pretty soon you cut 10-15 pounds of total weight, and that makes a big different at the end of the day. Is packing a 7-8 pound rifle going to stop you from getting a Ram, I doubt it!, but those extra 10-20 pounds might!
    Only time I have found gravity my friend on a sheep hunt, is when I shot a ram and he rolled down the hill toward home!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I hear you about cutting weight in all places. My most obvious is going to be 10 lbs off my mid section. I've started cutting zipper pulls off my pack to lighten up an ounce or two...a small piece of cord is lighter and quiter than metal zipper pulls. It's just messing with the rifle is more fun than the other stuff....

I like weight rifles...heres one I pack!

and another one.....

That weight is fine. Mine is 8lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Much cheaper places to lighten your load than your rifle IMO. Just don't skimp on optics weight they are always worth the weight. That said I have a 325 WSM that is 5.8 pounds with rings and scope and a .308 that is 5.5 pounds with rings and scope and they are a joy to carry, but I have about $1400 into each rifle...so as you can see its not a cheap proposition.
    Luke, does that .325 beat the hell out of you, or do you have it broke?

Forbes 24B 30-06........6.5 lbs w/Burris Mini

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Luke, does that .325 beat the hell out of you, or do you have it broke?
    Not suprisingly not actually...though I do have it magnaported

Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    Forbes 24B 30-06........6.5 lbs w/Burris Mini
    Very nice. And love the monte carlo synthetic stock.

Those super light rifles really have me licking my lips! I hunt a lot of high country in WY and the lighter the better, but if you have your ol' trusty rifle at 7.5 lbs. and it shoots well I would stick with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Not suprisingly not actually...though I do have it magnaported
    What make is your 325 at that weight? My Kimber 325 with 2.5-8x36 leupy, Talleys, scope bikini, nylon sling, nylon shell holder on stock loaded with 3rnds of 200gr Accubonds is 7lbs 4ozs. I just weighed it again the other day. The mag-na-port is nice huh?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

My Kimber Montana in 270wsm weighs in around 7lb 5oz. Rifle, Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, Talley rings, Butler Creek scope covers, swivels and sling. My Browning Titanium 325wsm with the same accessories is just a couple of ounces less.

Both could be lightened 4-5 oz if I went to a lighter scope like a Leo 2.5-8x36. Would be hard for me to go to much lighter without getting creative or doing some customization.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    what rifle is this. cal? make? model? thanks.

Me I think it's all about balance.. I do love those ultra light rifles but they make me nervous too.. I watched the stock on a 5000$ or so Banser break simply cause a rock rolled into it and it almost ruined the hunters hunt. dont get me wrong if I could afford one of Marks rifles I would buy it in a second because they are top notch and he stands behind his product.
    I am pretty demanding on equipment and would rather carry the extra weight the worry about my gear and that goes for more then just a rifle..

Besides the best way to lighten the load is bring a packer...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    What make is your 325 at that weight? My Kimber 325 with 2.5-8x36 leupy, Talleys, scope bikini, nylon sling, nylon shell holder on stock loaded with 3rnds of 200gr Accubonds is 7lbs 4ozs. I just weighed it again the other day. The mag-na-port is nice huh?
    Browning TI cut down to 18" barrel...its my super small and handy interior grizz hunting gun...I imagine with 3 in the mag, sling and scope caps it'd be 6.25 or about a pound shorter...I don't miss the extra 130 fps I lost (checked by running same reloads before and after the chop/magnaport job) and its oh so handy to carry around and doesn't stick up above my pack when carrying which is nice in the alders 200 grainer NPTs at 2800+ is still a heck of a whack so I'm happy with it

93.3 oz or just over 5.8 pounds

And my .308 is here at 88.5 oz or just over 5.5 pounds

Neither rifle is as purdy as ramhunters or that Forbes 24 IMO, but they work just fine for their intended use.

Light rifles are cool and fun to toy with, but dollar per oz, lighting your pack load its the last thing I'd worry about shaving weight from until you've trimmed weight elsewhere first.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    What type of Leupold is that? That's a big old turret on top!

The weight of my rifle is not the limiting factor for me on a sheep hunt. If I skip a few cheeseburgers and drink light beer, I can carry any rifle I own.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast