Thread: "Quiet" comfortable stalking gear

Default "Quiet" comfortable stalking gear

Any recommendations for bow hunting apparel that's quiet warm and decently comfortable, but in more concerned about how quiet it is when stalking/ moving.

Wool or fleese is what i wear, relatively cheap compared to some of the other gear I have seen, wool has been around for a long time.

I'm a big wool fan. Wool maintains its thermal properties even when wet. Its quiet and will outlast everything else. Quality wool will last a lifetime. It doesn't get stinky like synthetics.

Learn to walk. Not like walking down the sidewalk with your head down, body weight forward and heel to toe marching stomp. Learn to walk sloooow, head up, eyes forward, straight up posture, weight even, lift knees slowly without leaning forward, place you foot down slowly toe to heel. If you're moose hunting then screw the slow stalk. Stomp, bust brush, grunt and get ready.

Wool is very good and moleskin hunter/stalker stuff is great.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

+1 on the wool, and try the Merino stuff as well. I know FirstLite makes some "outer" layers that are pretty quiet and it's available at Sportsman's for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    Learn to walk. Not like walking down the sidewalk with your head down, body weight forward and heel to toe marching stomp. Learn to walk sloooow, head up, eyes forward, straight up posture, weight even, lift knees slowly without leaning forward, place you foot down slowly toe to heel. If you're moose hunting then screw the slow stalk. Stomp, bust brush, grunt and get ready.
    Let hear more trick and tips on how to stalk.

I'm no expert at stalking but I have learned a few things from still hunting whitetails. If you want to slip in to an area then you have to not sound, smell or look like a human. The wind MUST be in your favor. If the wind in not right or there is no wind then don't stalk. No coughing, talking, no obvious two legged marching, zipping, squeaking, swishing, etc. No silhouetting. Always try to use terrain forward and behind you to break up your shape. Pay attention to your 5 "Vs" when dressing. The Vs are shoulder/neck, armpits and crotch. These Vs are unmistakable in a silhouette no matter what camo you have. Even if the critter has never seen a human it will know something unknown is there. Round hat-less heads stick out too. A matching set of camo top and bottom may look good in a hero shot but will look like a dark human shape at longer distances. This is another plus for wool. Wool is natural and diffuses light instead of reflecting it like the synthetics. Spend more time looking than moving. Move very slow when you do. Have a sense of humor when you get busted.

Stormcloth makes a really good wool product, my buddy wears it and I was pretty impressed with it last year. He was warm all the time in the wind and rain, and it was very very quiet stuff. I wear Sitka Gear and it has never led me astray.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Let hear more trick and tips on how to stalk.
    Indian secret I was taught in Colorado: When stalking, walk on the outside edges of your feet. Heel up to your little toe. Some call it blading as you are walking on the outside blade of your foot. You will be surprised how much more quiet it is and how many sticks you won't break and leaves you wont crunch. For the more technical types: less surface area contacting the ground = less noise.

That reminded me I have an old book called “Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets” and looked up how the author describe how Indians stalked. “Most Indians pointed their toes straight ahead and walked tirelessly on the balls of there feet.” He also mention Indians used moccasin not heavy boots.

Wish I could find a warm water proof moccasin.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    That reminded me I have an old book called “Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets” and looked up how the author describe how Indians stalked. “Most Indians pointed their toes straight ahead and walked tirelessly on the balls of there feet.” He also mention Indians used moccasin not heavy boots.

Wish I could find a warm water proof moccasin.
    Bunch of my buddies use real moccasins(with no soles) to cover the last 100yds of stalks on elk and mulies. Weather/climate obviously have to be right. Some guys just use the thickest pair of wool socks they own.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    If you're moose hunting then screw the slow stalk. Stomp, bust brush, grunt and get ready.
    I tell ya what......had I stomped, busted the brush, and grunted before it was time to do so, I never would have walked up on the bulls I've killed in their beds....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I tell ya what......had I stomped, busted the brush, and grunted before it was time to do so, I never would have walked up on the bulls I've killed in their beds....
    Guess I should have been more specific. Slow walking in thick timber for whitetail may take you 4 hours to go 200 yards. Depending on where you hunt moose up here you could slow walk still hunt a lifetime before seeing a bull moose. My point was that calling them in might be a better option for a bow hunter. I tracked a cow to her bed in the snow one year and shot her at 15 yards before she stomped me for waking her up. Shooting multiple bedded bulls with a bow is awesome. How about some stories?

I would think 4merguide hunts in an area with lots of open areas and spots bulls from a hill and waits for it to bed down before going after him.

There are many advantages to hunting this way over hunting an area like Wasilla or KP. Where you would may I have to cover a lot of country looking for a bull to find you. That right I believe the bulls In these areas are looking for you assuming the bull think you are a bull or cow and there not very good at it. LOL