Thread: ATV vs Boat for hunting

Default ATV vs Boat for hunting

Hello all, I tried to look through the threads to not repeat a question asked and answered, but couldn't find much to answer my question..

I have a budget around $3000. Can spend up to $4000, but don't really want to. Anyways, I was wondering if an used ATV or a boat would suit me better for hunting? I have owned an ATV before, but never owned a boat. I do have boating experience, from rentals and buddies' boats, just never owned one before.

As far as the boats go, I was looking more towards an inflatable with a motor (pro-pioneer, used zodiak, other inflatable canoe, etc).

For the ATVs I would prefer a 6x6, but hard to come by a decent one at my price point. Hard to come by any decent used ATV at my price point up here.. Anything size 400cc or larger would be fine by me, as long as it is 4x4.

So trashed out ATV at the price point, decent used jon-boat, or new inflatable? What do you guys think?

Most of the hunting areas I access are accessible by boat. And a boat would take me to a few more places that I wasn't able to get to with my previous ATV.
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

Jet ranger... It's next on my list of toys to get.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Years ago I had the same predicament, went with the inflatable, and never looked back. It makes so much more sense - greater payload, room for more than 2 people, simple mechanics, allows for ease in getting away from others. Mine was a 12' Achilles with a 15hp. Took it out in PWS for a family weekends (4 of us) at the BLM cabins; across Kachemak Bay to Halibut Cove and Seldovia; Resurrection Bay salmon fishing; hunted Caribou out of Lake Tyone; packed it up for flyout moose hunts; and numerous fishing trips along the streams and lakes in S. Central AK.
    Can't do that with a 4-Wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by VilasBowhunter View Post
    Years ago I had the same predicament, went with the inflatable, and never looked back. It makes so much more sense - greater payload, room for more than 2 people, simple mechanics, allows for ease in getting away from others. Mine was a 12' Achilles with a 15hp. Took it out in PWS for a family weekends (4 of us) at the BLM cabins; across Kachemak Bay to Halibut Cove and Seldovia; Resurrection Bay salmon fishing; hunted Caribou out of Lake Tyone; packed it up for flyout moose hunts; and numerous fishing trips along the streams and lakes in S. Central AK.
    Can't do that with a 4-Wheeler.
    I agree, I have done all these things with my 14 foot inflatable and 25 horse tahatsu. I recently got a 22 hewscraft but I will leave it at home for spring bears because the inflatable works better if your more concerned with hunting than comfort. I have taken game from the wheeler but the boat rules. I might sell my inflatable in june so PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the help. Looks like you guys are pointing more towards a Zodiak type (or Achillies) boat than an inflatable canoe (pro pioneer type)?

EDIT:
    And I'd love to get the jet ranger.. but hard to find a decent one at my lower price point..
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

I'd say boat, even thought I hunt almost exclusively on wheelers, but that's mostly because there's not as much float hunting around where I live. If I lived in the interior, I'd be floating much more than 4-wheeling. The few boat-based hunts I've done just seemed so much more relaxing and in tune with the country than riding the machine.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I dont own and inflatable, i do own a 18 ft alweld jet boat and I love to hunt off it, I have 4 wheelers also but havent used them for hunting since I got my boat. Definately would go to a watercraft over a wheeler. especially if you dont mind a little walking.