Thread: brand of spark plugs for 2 stroke..

Default brand of spark plugs for 2 stroke..

Ok, I run NGK's in my snowmachine's as probably most do but I have a 25 and a 35 horse Johnson boat motors and have alway's run what came with them(Champions) but usaully end up going through a couple of sets of plugs a year.Does anyone run NGK's in their boat motors?

Yep, NGK'S in my 91 vintage Yamaha 35 h.p. two stroke.

Default yep

Have NGK's in the 175 mercury sport jet.

NGK all the way, don't know why but that's what works the best.

I remember back in the 80's. My brother and I ran our 2-stroke Yamaha dirtbikes all summer long. We thought the NGK's were complete junk. We always had problems with NGK's fouling out, and sometimes they just stopped working altogether...no spark. In one particular day, we went through 4 NGK plugs in one bike. Dad put a Champion plug in there, and we ran it for years with the same plug. That was pretty much the golden rule back then...swap the NGK's for Champions, and our spark plug troubles went away.

I bought my F115 outboard new in 2003. NGK is the only spark plug manufacturer for this particular outboard, so of course, I run them. I have never had spark plugs issues with my outboard. I also ran NGK's in my '02 Summit, because that's what all my snowmachine buddies told me to use. I never had spark plug troubles. I put over 800 miles on my sled that winter and never had a fouled plug. NGK must have gotten their act together, or something. I feel comfortable using them today. You sure couldn't have convinced me of that 20 years ago.

Thanks guy's,NGK it is!

I raced karts for several years and learned a few things about plugs in 2-strokes. Just a thought on plugs fouling, plugs come in a variety of heat ranges, and no matter what manufacturer you pick, if you run a plug that is too cold, it's going to foul out. Also how you run the engine affects what heat range of plug you run. If you're running the engine at the lower rpm range, you want a hotter plug. If you're running extended at WOT, you want a cooler plug. Worst case scenario with a too hot plug in extended WOT running is you stick or hole a piston.

BTW, I mostly ran NGK's.

Dan, I recall the same experience back then with dirtbikes. I don't know if it was the motor/use or the plug manufacturer. I haven't owned a dirt bike for years so I couldn't tell you what works with them today. All I know is that NGK works in the boats and sleds I have had.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 05-10-2007 at 17:13. Reason: tongue twister