Thread: Spring talkeetna and clear creek

Default Spring talkeetna and clear creek

Well, have a jet for spring trout this year and fish the parks streams normally in the spring by foot. Interested in chasing some spring bows in the talkeetna and clear, and anywhere else in the su area.

Are there bows feeding on nymphs and smolt in may on clear creek or do you need to focus on the talkeetna to find fish.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I would be VERY careful trying to make it up to clear creek in a jet boat in early may. I went out a couple of years ago on the su and almost got myself into a expensive bind with a very large ice jam.

thanks, thats definitely something to watch out for before the rivers blow out. Did you just run the jet on the bank or what happened running into the ice jam?? im looking closer towards to memorial day for making it to clear but would like to run others prior to then.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I have ran the su when there were large ice chunks still in the river and it did a some damage to the foot, but not much. The icejam on the other hand took up the entire river, side to side, so I pulled my boat to the side of the river to see if it would clear up for me but it just got worse and the level of the river was coming up fast. I am very lucky that I didn't get hurt or hurt some guys with me... Memorial day weekend should be ice free, but it also means it could be full of sticks and other junk that clog up your jet. Just be aware and you should be good. Fishing can be productive on clear creek for small bows and other species just don't count on at least some jacks coming up there til the first or second week of June.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Well, have a jet for spring trout this year and fish the parks streams normally in the spring by foot. Interested in chasing some spring bows in the talkeetna and clear, and anywhere else in the su area.

Are there bows feeding on nymphs and smolt in may on clear creek or do you need to focus on the talkeetna to find fish.

Ive done really well for bows on the Talkeetna when the river is clear in the spring and fall. Any deep and slow pool or back eddy works pretty well.

In most years by Memorial day you will have no problem the river should be clear of sticks and ice but like I said thats most years. Bow fishing on clear creek can be very good both spring and fall but what Ive notice is alot more boats now than when I first staring going up. But then again that was many many years ago LOL good luck and be safe. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Its been several years that this post has been on here, but I'm new here and want to camp and fish clear creek. Any suggestion where i can drive in with a small trailer and fish. Suggestion would be helpful. Thinking the week of the 17th (May 2014)

You can't drive a truck to it. Have to boat up from the talkeetna

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I've been back there on foot till it gets too skinny to fish. Call Rhett at Tri-Rivers charter in Talkeetna for an update on conditions. He will drop you off for a reasonable price. Its rough country. Hard work. Worst bugs I have ever been in last year. PM me if you decide to go.