Thread: Where do you get your salt?

Default Where do you get your salt?

Looking to buy 100lbs or so of non-iodized granulated salt in the Valley or Anchorage. Where do you guys go to get it?

I'm gonna tag on (hope you don't mind), 6 of us will need salt while in Wrangell.

Any ideas?

Is there a local shipper that will bulk sale and deliver?

Are you using this for salting hides? If so just get the 25lb bags of table salt - Thats what all the taxidermists I have talked to reccommend.

Default mixing salt

We have always used mixing or canning salt. 25 pound bags can be purchased at Ak Mill and feed.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default costco/ sams

another option

sams club, buy the 25# bags of mortons table salt

Buy it from Ben at City Market #907-874-3333 in Wrangell. He will order anything in bulk and give you as good a price as you are likely to find anywhere. He does stock about six kinds of salt though pickling, canning, kosher, sea, iodized, non iodized and probably more. If you buy a case you'll get a case discount.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Buy it from Ben at City Market #907-874-3333 in Wrangell. He will order anything in bulk and give you as good a price as you are likely to find anywhere. He does stock about six kinds of salt though pickling, canning, kosher, sea, iodized, non iodized and probably more. If you buy a case you'll get a case discount.
    Thank you !

Default Salt tips

Quote Originally Posted by adfraiser View Post
    Looking to buy 100lbs or so of non-iodized granulated salt in the Valley or Anchorage. Where do you guys go to get it?
    I'll jump in on this one too, since I'm posting on everything else tonight anyway. I second the vote for Alaska Mill and Feed in Anchorage. Hadn't considered Sam's Club, though it might be worth comparing prices. Mill and feed is pretty reasonable though, and you'll want to go there anyway. Pick up some of their poly bags (nylon weave). Put your sack of salt in a trash compactor bag, seal it up with duct tape and put the whole works in one of those poly bags (they're about the size of a 50# sack of dog food). Tie the top shut and slap a strip of duct tape on the outside, writing "salt" on it with a felt marker. You can do the same thing with your dry foods; I call it a poor man's dry bag. Works like a charm.

On the salt, the main issue is to go with very fine salt- not rock salt.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Costco for $4 and something for 25lbs, I believe last I looked Sams was a little less. When traveling I often put the 25 lb bag in a laptop size bag and it is my personal sized carry on when traveling Alaska Air. Kind of stinks carrying a 25lb bag around along with my small back pack in the airport. But often they don't have it in the quanities I want.

I do smile when the TSA agent picks up the bag thinking it would normally weigh 8 lbs ;-)

thanks for the tips!

Costco - $4.04 for 25lbs (as of a couple of weeks ago)

Sam's Club is $3.94 for 25lbs in Anchorage (as of today).