Thread: Telescopic Walking Axes?

Default Telescopic Walking Axes?

Me and my hunting buddy are going to try using walking axes this year. We are looking into the Petzl Snowscopic, but also found one by Stubai, but there are no reviews offered for it. I'm wondering with all the sheep hunters out there if there are any recommendations.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Ducks Stid I believe uses a stubai telescopic axe. I have always been a little afraid cause I abuse the snot out of mine so mine is one piece

I've always been leery of the telescopic axes....which is unfortunate since walking length axes are tough to find these days. SMC out of Seatle will build one though.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks Bear, hopefully he chimes in, I'd love to hear what he has to say about them.

How long do you usually want the handle to be on the one piece? With the trekking poles I usually like to adjust the length depending on if I'm going up hill or down hill. It's the reason I was leaning towards the telescopic axe.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've always been leery of the telescopic axes....which is unfortunate since walking length axes are tough to find these days. SMC out of Seatle will build one though.
    That is true indeed and good info to know about having them built. Mine is short.. 90 cm I believe.. Great on the slopes but that's it. When I guide sheep though they have some in camp that I use and they are 110 cm which I have found to be a good length

The extra length is nice for coming down hill...
    Last edited by Bear; 03-31-2013 at 23:01. Reason: Content

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Thanks, I'll check them out

One can also buy just the handle material. I was in a little shop in haines last summer waiting for the ferry, and they had blanks hanging on the back wall. A guy could buy any axe off ebay and order the handle material to make it the exact length you like.

I've had mine for 4 years or so with zero issues and it's been through quite a bit. Had it stuck between boulders before without realizing and taken a leap forward but instead of it bending or snapping in half it just jerked me backwards. I love being able to use the quick adjust for different terrain, I couldn't go back to a fixed axe.

Bought a stubai late last fall. Haven't put it to use in the mountains but played around with it at home Definitely well built Let me know if you want to look at it

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Ducks Stid I believe uses a stubai telescopic axe. I have always been a little afraid cause I abuse the snot out of mine so mine is one piece
    stid uses the same as i do... how do i know? i bought them, his and mine, both at wiggys ak... Taylor has a good one there.. I have used mine as and anchor... to winch the 4 wheeler up the hill in the snow also... it goes everywhere i go good stuff... is good stuff.. go see marc,

( edit) come to think of it.. Stid is using the one i winched on.. i know he's put a few miles on it also.... mine, has been beaten pretty hard also.. and has yet to fail...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Here is one I picked up last year. A little different but I really like it. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/ski-poles/whippet-self-arrest-ski-pole
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    stid uses the same as i do... how do i know? i bought them, his and mine, both at wiggys ak... Taylor has a good one there.. I have used mine as and anchor... to winch the 4 wheeler up the hill in the snow also... it goes everywhere i go good stuff... is good stuff.. go see marc,

( edit) come to think of it.. Stid is using the one i winched on.. i know he's put a few miles on it also.... mine, has been beaten pretty hard also.. and has yet to fail...

Are you guys using the Tour Lite telescoping one, or do they make any other telescoping models? I saw the Tour Ultralight, but it doesn't look like it is a telescoping axe.

Thanks!