Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Simms Waders

Default First Simms Waders

So after several years of fishing in AK I finally bit the bullet and bought my first pair of Simms waders. Man I hope these things are all that everyone says they are. I sprung for the new G4 Pro stockingfoot and will be breaking them in when I go back to Yakutat this year. Basically had to refinance my mortgage to pay for them but I am stoked about them. Somebody please tell me I won't regret it! Open water is near!

Sapper in the Skies

You won't regret it.

You definitely won't regret it.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

They are worth every penny. You won't be disappointed.

The worst part is when they finally wear out and you have to bite another bullet... But you still won't regret it, they will serve you well for many years!

Just got my 1st pair of Simms waders back from service. Bought in 2006 and just had to get my 3rd set of feet put on which will extend the life another 3 years. Price is high but the product speaks for itself. When you think about it , they are gonna last 10 years, with 600 days of use. Now go ahead and buy the G4 boots, they feel like slippers on your feet

Default put socks over neoprene bootfoot to avoid abrasion wear

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Just got my 1st pair of Simms waders back from service. Bought in 2006 and just had to get my 3rd set of feet put on which will extend the life another 3 years. Price is high but the product speaks for itself. When you think about it , they are gonna last 10 years, with 600 days of use. Now go ahead and buy the G4 boots, they feel like slippers on your feet
    If you put some socks over the bootfoot before putting on wading shoes, you will avoid abrasion wear and leaks from rubbing against the edge of the shoe. There is a big difference in the cost of repair, and time to mail/return, your waders 3 times versus not having to do it ever.

You should always, always, get wading shoes that fit - meaning not a tight fit. If you need a more snug fit, wear socks of different thickness inside +/or outside, the bootfoot. If it is too tight, you will trash the bootfoot in no time.

Never thought about the sock thing but makes since. I don't use the gravel guards, new waders have them built in. These now are my loaners for friends.
    Clarify only the 2nd set replaced, once every 3 yrs, on 3rd feet from purchase. They have never leaked but just worn. I think better to spend the $40 then have a bad day on the water.

I show mine no mercy...they take a beating and stand strong. No regrets here at all. You will love hem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have had two pairs of Freestones and one pair of G3s go bad on me in the last two years. First pair of Freestones started leaking within two weeks. Second pair took two months to start leaking. G3s started leaking within 4 months. I don't abuse my waders. I fish a lot and wear them a lot but do not abuse them. Not exactly sold on Simms yet. When I pay $450 for a pair of waders I expect them to last a little longer than 4 months without springing leaks.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Raptor,

When you pay that much for waders all your paying for is the warranty and a name. If they have a good warranty by a pair and have a cheap back up for every time you have to send them off to get new ones. I have a pair of Wright and McGill waders now and they are the best ones I have owned so far, 2 summers and no leaks.

I have the G4 pros. they are hands down the best set of waders i have ever owned. i upgraded from the G3 last year. Simms waders and their wading coats are the best gear IMO money can buy. You def did not make a mistake. I fish them in the fall for steelhead and they keep me warm and i have a G3 guide coat to go along woth them.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Raptor,

When you pay that much for waders all your paying for is the warranty and a name. If they have a good warranty by a pair and have a cheap back up for every time you have to send them off to get new ones. I have a pair of Wright and McGill waders now and they are the best ones I have owned so far, 2 summers and no leaks.
    I will have to disagree that when I spend that much on a pair of waders all I'm paying for is a warrantee. Agreed the name and warrantee do play into pricing, but I'm paying for what is supposed to be a quality product with a good warrantee made to last a little more than a few months. Although the Simms warrantee is great, I should not have to utilize this warrantee every few months. I find it disheartening that I've owned three seperate sets of Simms waders and all three have leaked within months. I've spent a lot of money on them and would expect them to last a little longer. I do have a back up set of waders but one should not have to be expected to buy a back up set of waders after spending over $400 on Simms, it's just good practice to have a back up set. Maybe it's just my luck but 3 pairs of very expensive waders leaking within months is kinda garbage if you ask me. Again, I do not abuse my waders at all.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I will have to disagree that when I spend that much on a pair of waders all I'm paying for is a warrantee. Agreed the name and warrantee do play into pricing, but I'm paying for what is supposed to be a quality product with a good warrantee made to last a little more than a few months. Although the Simms warrantee is great, I should not have to utilize this warrantee every few months. I find it disheartening that I've owned three seperate sets of Simms waders and all three have leaked within months. I've spent a lot of money on them and would expect them to last a little longer. I do have a back up set of waders but one should not have to be expected to buy a back up set of waders after spending over $400 on Simms, it's just good practice to have a back up set. Maybe it's just my luck but 3 pairs of very expensive waders leaking within months is kinda garbage if you ask me. Again, I do not abuse my waders at all.

Well I think maybe it is just the luck of the draw, and I understand your frustration after paying that much for wadders, which is why I don't do that, I wont pay over 200 dollars for a pair no matter who makes them because I have the same luck, and you can buy cheaper waders just to get them replaced. Sorry you had to go trough this, but your not alone.

It also depends on why they are leaking. Do you walk through devil's club? I've owned Simms waders for over 15 years and can't imagine using anything else. They make great gear, but anything can fail. Agree with above that their raincoat too is priceless in weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    well, raptor:

4 months can be alot of fishing; more fishing than some people do in 4 years; if it makes you feel any better; many guides go through 3-4 sets of top of the line simms waders each season.

AK can be very rough on waders, with sharp thorns and rocks and sticks everywhere. Really not the type of environment for any breathable waders if you are doing any aggressive wading or brush-busting at all. I don't bring breathables up there ever. Just doesn't cut it. I'll stick with neoprenes until they stop making them. $60 full price at Cabelas; sometimes as low as $40 on sale. They will outleast 12 sets of simms.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    well, raptor:

4 months can be alot of fishing; more fishing than some people do in 4 years; if it makes you feel any better; many guides go through 3-4 sets of top of the line simms waders each season.

AK can be very rough on waders, with sharp thorns and rocks and sticks everywhere. Really not the type of environment for any breathable waders if you are doing any aggressive wading or brush-busting at all. I don't bring breathables up there ever. Just doesn't cut it. I'll stick with neoprenes until they stop making them. $60 full price at Cabelas; sometimes as low as $40 on sale. They will outleast 12 sets of simms.

Spend ALL day fishing in neoprenes.. the rocks under your spawning stick will be so sweaty they will look like raisins.

I'll give a shout out for LL Bean's waders.
    3 years before they finally leaked...my fault as I snagged a sharp corner on the boat and tore a hole in them. Tried to repair them, didn't work so I sent them back last winter and they replaced them with no question. PLUS, shipping was free.
    These were less than $200, waist high breathable stockingfoot model.
    I use them exclusively in the salt, all day long in PWS getting in/out of the zodiac, going for hikes, etc....
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    well, raptor:

I rather buy multiple sets if breathables then fish one day in neoprenes, they are miserable and don't work worth a **** for what I want to use them for

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    I rather buy multiple sets if breathables then fish one day in neoprenes, they are miserable and don't work worth a **** for what I want to use them for
    That being said I have had a few days winter fishing when I wished I had neoprenes. Other than that, I think Simms are worth the money. Push a pair of breathable waders hard enough and any brand is going to get pin holes. Simms doesn't say their waders are immune to pin holes. They are easy to fix and just the nature of the beast when fishing a breathable wader. As far as the fit and breathability I think they are the best out there. With anything double the cost doesn't mean twice as good but I sure think they are better and IMO are worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast