Thread: Opinions on tire problems with FatRat....

Default Opinions on tire problems with FatRat....

Looking for thoughts on how to handle this situation.....

Last Sportsmans Show (2012) I purchased a FatRat (wide version of PacRat) trailer from Randy at the show. I didn't take delivery until late September, from Sportsmans Warehouse, when Plaschem finally finished it up and had it delivered - mostly due I was told to the business moving, etc....

Anyway, it came with the stock 22" tires that Randy puts on it. I parked it on top of my flatbed trailer in the driveway where it's sat since I brought it home. It has ZERO miles on the tires, zero cargo ever put into it and hasn't even been hooked up to a hitch yet. Heck, I think even a few factory stickers survived the winter and are on two of the tires.

Today I was walking by it and noticed that each and every tire had splits in the rubber around all the knobs. I'm guessing between 60-120 per tire. They aren't super deep, but still compromise the tires longevity. Obviously it holds air - the tires are still inflated just fine, but ***???? It's like the rubber is super old and rotting/fragile? The tires are not and never have been overinflated - they are just as received when new.

Now for my choices...
    1) call Randy at Plaschem and explain the situation - I know he backs his trailers from what I've learned, but not sure about tires in this unique case - see what happens?
    2) call Sportsmans Warehouse for the same (since they were the middle man)....although I think I know the answer to this one.
    3) buy 4 new tires and move on....not my favorite option.

Thoughts??

Weather checks are common. Go put some miles on it and wear them out the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Weather checks are common. Go put some miles on it and wear them out the old fashioned way.
    That's new to me - none of the 10 year old double axle Bayliner trailer tires, the White Spruce 7.5k flatbed trailer tires, the 1984 Big Red tires, the Argo tires, the 5x7 or the 6x8 utility trailer tires have ever shown "weather checks".......so I'm not getting the common part.

Take your first choice. Talk with Randy,give him time to talk to his tire supplier and they should replace them . He knows when you recived the tires and they should not weather crack that quick. Almost of the small tires and small trailer tires are made in China or some place like that. There is little if any of these tires that are USA . Not like the old days. Good Luck

ATV tires do weather check quickly. I'm surprised your 1984 Big Red tires didn't check in about the same time period. But rubber compounds in the other tires you mentioned are another animal entirely - apples to oranges. I have two Honda 185s wheelers, and I would have 1/4"+ deep cracks in the tubeless, split rim tires, but they would still go a while. This is when the tires were 2-3 years old.

Now it will take about 3 years before I get cracks in the rubber on my ITP radials. Good luck!

Cal Randy First, he is a straight up guy!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

The Big Red rubbers are only about 9 years old, but other than the wear, there's no checking - They aren't actually from 84 - that would be impressive.

I spoke to Randy today and he was very concerned - and helping me get it taken care of. As stand up as I've been told. I"ll post back when it's resolved with the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    ATV tires do weather check quickly. I'm surprised your 1984 Big Red tires didn't check in about the same time period. But rubber compounds in the other tires you mentioned are another animal entirely - apples to oranges. I have two Honda 185s wheelers, and I would have 1/4"+ deep cracks in the tubeless, split rim tires, but they would still go a while. This is when the tires were 2-3 years old.

Now it will take about 3 years before I get cracks in the rubber on my ITP radials. Good luck!

To help prevent some of the weather checking ,spray the tires with ArmorAll and keep out of the sun light. Cover with black plastic .Poor compounding of the rubber can be part of some of the weather checking but the sun is bad for tires.

I bought a Pac-Rat trailer from the dealer in Fairbanks and the tires started cracking very pre-maturely. It was almost like the tires must have sat outside for a long time before even being installed on the trailer? When I returned to the dealer to show him the problem he said he would have them replaced at no charge. He really stood behind the product with great customer service. Good luck.

Just wanted to update this thread - I spoke to Randy on the phone, explained the problem and emailed a few pictures to him. He was very surprised and agreed that there's no way the tires should have cracked that quickly, especially after never even seeing any actual use yet. After working out a meet on one of his runs into Anchorage, he swapped out the tires with 4 new ones.

Very good customer service and definitely "one of the good guys"!

Great report!!! Thanks for the follow up!